Kashmir files

MSDTarak

27 minutes ago, chanti149 said:

How naive and silly that compatision chart was... And how easy it was to know the gist which u mentioned now... 

Still some fall for that chart in same way ap people fall for jagan freebies... No wonder ppl like jagan can easily grab power with so many naive ppl around...!! 

Source chusinappudey blindly ignore cheseyyali ilaantivi 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched #TheKashmirFiles a few days ago but chose not to write anything about it on social media. Not because I'm a "sickular presstitute" blah blah that some of my lovely followers like to call me but because there seems to be no way to have a reasonable conversation about this film. 

I thought for a long time on whether I should say something about it because I really don't have the energy to deal with a lot of abusive idiots. But well, Martin Luther King Jr's words on the silence of good people kept coming back to me, and I'm vain enough to think that I am a good person.  

What is the film about? It is centered on the events of January 19, 1990, when several Kashmiri Pandits were forced to leave their homeland by Islamic militants. There are documented acts of extreme violence and brutality from the day and what happened before and after that. So, yes, the film is based on real events. There has been a fair amount of wrangling over the term 'genocide'. The film insists that what happened was a 'genocide' and not an 'exodus' as it is often called. 

'Genocide', by definition, is the murder or intended murder of all persons belonging to a certain race/religion/community. I've followed the debates and discussions around the film, and I have heard people say 'genocide' is an exaggeration because less than 100 or 200 died (and this includes a Kashmiri Pandit TV anchor who argued the point with Anupam Kher, one of the lead actors in the film). There are several others who have argued that people from other communities, too, were killed - those who were not as privileged as the Pandit community for the rest of the country to care about. 

As a writer, I'm immensely conscious about the power of language to frame our realities. But at this point, I would say that debating whether this was a 'genocide' or 'exodus' is the wrong thing to do. There is a lot of anger among the Kashmiri Pandit community about what happened to their families in the '90s. Many of them do not have a sense of closure about what happened. 

The gangrape and brutal murder of Girija Tickoo, a Kashmiri Pandit woman, is among the horrors shown in the film - including how she was split into two with a machine. Personally, I abhor representing extreme acts of violence on screen because I feel this desensitizes viewers, making us voyeurs to the act and altering our standards for what can be tolerated. However, I read what Girija Tickoo's niece had to say about the film. Her response was that everybody should watch it. There is, clearly, a strong desire among many Kashmiri Pandits for their stories to be acknowledged, for people to recognise what they went through. I don't think it's fair to deny them this need for collective grieving, even if there are people from within the community who have distanced themselves from the film. 

How realistic is the film? Yes, I did say that the film is based on real events, but is everything about it real? How a story is told, even if it's a documentary, depends on the director's vision and what s/he intends to communicate through the film. The director here is Vivek Agnihotri, a man who is known for his communal propaganda and love for terms like 'urban naxals' and 'tukde tukde gang'. So it isn't surprising that this is what the film drives towards - every Kashmiri Muslim is a militant and Hindu-hater, including kids. In the testimonies of Kashmiri Pandits, there are several who have spoken about how their Kashmiri Muslim friends helped them when they came under attack. But these stories don't find a place anywhere in the narrative, not one (the Muslim child who helps his Hindu friend in the opening sequence is later shown to be friends with a hardened militant). 

It is, of course, a director's prerogative which stories he wishes to pick and tell; if the film's intention was to talk about hate fueled by religion and how there is a human cost to it, it would have been written differently. The reception it has received, too, would have been different.

The chief villain in the film, even more than the Islamic militant Bitta, is a hapless JNU professor with dark kajal and a big bindhi. Her name is 'Radhika Menon' and it's easy enough to guess whom Agnihotri means. He even shows a portrait of 'Radhika Menon' holding hands with Bitta, a portrait that the militant has hung at his home. The songs 'Azadi' and 'Hum Dekhenge' that have become protest anthems against the Sangh Parivar's attempts to turn the country into a Hindu Rashtra, are constantly demonised all through the film. 

For the past few years, JNU has been projected as a dangerous den for "anti-national" activities, a place where thousands of condoms are used every night, a place where elderly students are still doing their PhD, a place where terrorists are welcome but patriots are not, a place that controls the "system" through its ideology. Marx and Lenin are also adequately tarred by showing the long dead men in the background constantly whenever the evil professor makes an appearance. The character is such a caricature that it was almost funny. 

Creating a deep distrust towards the Liberal Arts and Humanities is a vital step in the nationalism project. These are disciplines that do not consider anything to be sacrosanct and engage with ideas, civilizations, philosophies and ideologies on an everyday basis, examining and re-examining what is already known through different lenses. So yes, questioning ideas of nationhood, cultural hegemonies, our troubled histories that emerge from a bedrock of oppression - all of these are vital to these disciplines. As a BA English student in a college run by Christian missionaries, I remember writing about patriarchy in the Adam and Eve story in the Bible, and comparing it with the story of the rebellious Lilith from Jewish tradition. I scored high in that assignment. 

In these disciplines, belonging to a certain identity does not mean you have to show your utter loyalty towards it. In fact, you are expected to be conscious of the privilege and baggage that come with it. You don't play for teams, you are trained to study the game and why it is being played. The hatred towards these disciplines is easy to fan because they question a lot of things that are venerated by society. Family, Nation, Army, Religion...to name a few. So, it is not surprising that the JNU professor becomes the she-devil who "misleads" naive students into attacking their own government - and the audience laps it up. I have nothing more to say about it except this - I'm extremely grateful for my education in the Liberal Arts and Humanities. It made me who I am, it lit a fire in my brain that still burns. 

As many others have pointed out, the PM during 1990 was VP Singh of the Janata Dal who was supported by the BJP. The Governor of Kashmir was Jagmohan, who later joined the BJP. The film, however, suggests that it is Rajiv Gandhi who was to be blamed for what happened. There is a lot of 'fact exchange' happening over this between the right wing and the left. Who was actually responsible, was this an RSS conspiracy, who let down the Kashmiri Pandits, which government has done more for them etc. The 'fact exchange' can continue but the question remains - how many will bother to engage with it, to find out what really happened? How many will just go home, feeling inflamed by what they have watched, convinced that it is the 'truth'? By dropping hints and refusing to clearly state who's to be blamed, Agnihotri turns the focus of the audience's anger to Muslims and the JNU professor who is supposedly hand-in-glove in their brutality.

The rousing speech delivered by a Kashmiri Pandit student, who was initially 'misled' by the JNU professor and unearths his tragic history, also talks about a Muslim invader from the 1300s who was worse than Hitler, destroyed temples, converted a lot of Hindus and so on. This is a favourite Hindutva narrative - the idea of a glorious Bharat that was the centre of civilisation but was destroyed by invaders who brought in alien religions and cultural practices. It doesn't matter how many centuries ago this happened, it is supposed to be our burning priority now. It doesn't matter that our history is full of kingdoms invading each other, leading to rape, plunder and cultural rehauls. Everyone who is not Hindu must be brought back into the fold, by force if necessary, because the goal is a Hindu Rashtra. Ironically, it is the intolerance and conservatism of many Muslim nations that have a poor record in human rights, that the Hindu right wing seems to crave. 

What has this film achieved? It has helped several Kashmiri Pandits vocalize their anger, and I will not police how they choose to do it. Meanwhile, the BJP has aggressively promoted it, from the PM to CMs of BJP-led states, while not condemning the scores of videos that have emerged from cinema halls where calls to violence against Muslims have been made. The leadership is only interested in deepening the communal divide, and considering this polarization gifts them election after election, it is not surprising at all.

What happened in 1990 is the story of a community that was a minority in its homeland. A community that found itself isolated, brutalized and driven away from a place they had called home for generations. A story of hate destroying love. A story of religious bigotry stamping out humanity. What is my country learning from this story? I'm afraid of the answer.

PS: I'm not engaging with anyone in the comments section because I'd like to keep my sanity intact. Try not to be abusive.

- Sowmya

BJP vallu dharunamga promote chesthunnaruga....cvl narasimha rao message....andhra lo more than 60% unnayo ledo kanukkondi colelctions...unte RRR ni postpone chesukomani chepudham...innalu aagadu inko 1 week agalera...kashmiri files theesthe baagodu anta...daridrama..endira idi

ranga godavalu di kooda manam theesthe poddi emo....enthamandi kamma varni oocha kotha kosaru...aadpillalni rape chesaru...somehow kamma vadu danini baitaki kooda cheppukoleni karma thecharu rajakeeyalu....chinapillaltho illallo bikku bikku mantu gadiparu chala mandi...magavallu antha road meed pahara kaasaru...krishna and some parts of guntur zilla konni rojulu nidhara pola....we want bjp also to support that movie...ippartaki kooda rangani champaru antaru gaani...aa chamapatam ee mathram sambandham leni enno kutumbhalani champina ranga fans gurunchi enduku chepparu...

7 hours ago, Chandasasanudu said:

BJP vallu dharunamga promote chesthunnaruga....cvl narasimha rao message....andhra lo more than 60% unnayo ledo kanukkondi colelctions...unte RRR ni postpone chesukomani chepudham...innalu aagadu inko 1 week agalera...kashmiri files theesthe baagodu anta...daridrama..endira idi

Telugu dubbing coming soon

👍

2 hours ago, Chandasasanudu said:

ranga godavalu di kooda manam theesthe poddi emo....enthamandi kamma varni oocha kotha kosaru...aadpillalni rape chesaru...somehow kamma vadu danini baitaki kooda cheppukoleni karma thecharu rajakeeyalu....chinapillaltho illallo bikku bikku mantu gadiparu chala mandi...magavallu antha road meed pahara kaasaru...krishna and some parts of guntur zilla konni rojulu nidhara pola....we want bjp also to support that movie...ippartaki kooda rangani champaru antaru gaani...aa chamapatam ee mathram sambandham leni enno kutumbhalani champina ranga fans gurunchi enduku chepparu...

#Vijawadafiles 

Chala vunnayee... Sikhs, Dalits ... Anni vasthai... in future

But yenni vachina community mothanni blame - or - hate cheyadam is not good 👍

6 hours ago, Chandasasanudu said:

Bjp vallu reverse lo teesi manalni EP Lani sestaru ... So called kams sanghalu elagu em seyaleru 😂

14 hours ago, GOLI SODA said:

#Vijawadafiles 

Chala vunnayee... Sikhs, Dalits ... Anni vasthai... in future

But yenni vachina community mothanni blame - or - hate cheyadam is not good 👍

Politicians need to divide and rule for their political benefit. So, all these will come out but a few of them will surely be fully blaming the community that was actually a victim. Charithra nu thiragarstharu ...Jagan and BJP will do to for their benefit. RGV anduke NTR mida ala teesadu with Jagan's support....alaa history will be written 

The template of the movie is such that only a propaganda movie can choose. In a regular screenplay, the scene in the end would have been in the beginning. The focus would have been more on the events leading to exodus than elaborate incidents of personal violence. It's very important to watch this movie to understand whether you are still capable of thinking independently or will succumb to propaganda. Everything apart, a movie lover can recognise the difference between the screenplay template adopted by Anurag kashyap in Black Friday and Vivek Agnihotri in KF. The idea is not to educate or sensitise but only to instigate. The most dangerous thing about this template is that it creates an effect that the audience has learnt the hidden truth now and cannot be decieved by any other narrative.

- Prashant

Archived