Investment Thread

minion

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep it simple.... do not dream big.... don't be greedy... just try different things with minimal capital.... you will learn with experience....

Never go blindly listening Mr.X invested x in Y and got Z

Yes ... keep it simple  :shakehands:

There are only less than 10% people who finally books profit out of shares

Not even 5 % and didnt find one who has been continously doing for more than 8 years

Share market ni encourage cheyyakandi even if you are successful - especially in India huge inside trading all gambling

Invest chesi konni years vadilesthe OK - Daily trading lu cheste M gudisipotharu

Personal experience and my colleagues experiance tho chepthunna.

2 or 3 years baagane vunattu anipisthadi Maname thopulam anipisthadi okatesari every 7 years oka pedda dhebba kodathadi appudu telustadi - how much expert we are in stock market

Stay away from stock market

Not even 5 % and didnt find one who has been continously doing for more than 8 years

Share market ni encourage cheyyakandi even if you are successful - especially in India huge inside trading all gambling

Invest chesi konni years vadilesthe OK - Daily trading lu cheste M gudisipotharu

2 or 3 years baagane vunattu anipisthadi Maname thopulam anipisthadi okatesari every 7 years oka pedda dhebba kodathadi appudu telustadi - how much expert we are in stock market

day trading is like gambling. gambling lo gelavaru ela aina. adi stock market ki kuda imply avtundi. simple

Indian stock markets have some lag ... finding a good mutual fund with good returns takes some research. Spend that time ... understand the implications ... make sure you feel comfortable with the fund you choose. Don't rush into markets now.

If you're going to a 'financial adviser' ... ask about how they did for the past 3/5/10/15 years returns ... and beyond ... Compare  ... especially how they did during 2008 crisis (no, 2008 is not just about america)... Its not complicated ... If an 'adviser' talks some nonsense you don't understand (most often they do)  ... then, that's what it is ... just nonsense.

I wish I knew what I know now. Trust me, I've been in this longer to realize.

All financial advisors screwed common man in 2008-2009 recession.

No one has any f'ing clue what was going on. 

I read somewhere that an investment of 10k in infosys in 1995 has turned 4cr by 2012.

IT bavvuntundhi ani nannu engineering lo join chesaru ma dad, adhey investment e company Medha Chesi untey crorepati iyyundeyvaru!

Stocks lo investments long-term profitable emo anipistondhi!!

You could be right or wrong, be it stocks or real estate, timing is everything.

If u ask any one now who bought real estate in india before the modi ban of Rs 1000 and 500, they will say Real Estate is riskey.

Timing is everything.

You could be right or wrong, be it stocks or real estate, timing is everything.

If u ask any one now who bought real estate in india before the modi ban of Rs 1000 and 500, they will say Real Estate is riskey.

Timing is everything.

every investment has inherent risk associated. difference is in risk severity. Agreed, timing is important but should not be the only criteria if you are looking for long term especially in real estate. If every thing goes down hill you still own some thing. sure you would be at loss but most likely never be "zero". there is no such guarantee in stocks.

1) invest on land .

2) invest on house/apartment ( only if you want to stay )

3) invest on commercial space if your job is insecure or if you have above.

4) if you still have savings you can try investings

On SIP or try some innovative things with pure risk ( only 10 -20 % risk )

Don't ever invest on one thing or one place

1) Again, will work for India, USA will need much higher investments which most people cant afford

2) Works for India

3) Works for n=both, do we know how much is needed for such investment in USA

4)....depends on individual investment strategy

5) SIP - This is BS according to me as the buying and selling dates are kinda fixed to average down or up. Timing is everything for anything, SIP's are not at all good.

Most 401k's offer atleast some index funds, usually either VTSAX (total market index fund) or VINIX (S&P 500 index fund). Maa dantlo VINIX undi.  I have 75/25 VINIX / VBTLX. VBTLX is total bond index fund. 

VTSAX unte adi better. It covers total US stock market (over 3500 stocks market weighted).

401K unte company match unna lekapoina max contribute cheyyandi. Its tax deferred. Its a major advantage.

FSTVX - Fidelity total stock index fund (same as VTSAX)

FUSVX - Fidelity s&p 500 index fund.

Why do you want to invest in Bond fund when you know interest rates have no way to go but up ?

95% of retail investors lose money in stock market by day trading.

Only 5% retailers who really invest long term (could be weeks to months, to few years) make money with proper timing, discipline, knowledge and patience. I am a technical trader/investor myself depending upon how much time I can spend on analysis. Most of my trades are few months and very few investments are for years. Below are stock market rules for successful traders/investors in the priority order in my opinion.

1. Patience - Since it is easy to buy and sell with a click of button, one has to be patient when executing the trade (be it short or long term). Patience is always rewarded by the market.

2. Knowledge - Timing is everything, one should know when to buy and when to sell.  

3. Money - This is one's biggest asset, never invest 100% of your money. I would only invest 40-50% generally and diversify at least in 10 different positions. If I invest in individual stocks, invest only in large caps.

4. News is manipulated and BS, I dont follow any news.

5. Technical levels are the way to go based on my experience.

Always follow stop orders or stop loss, respect it when the entry is wrong, take the loss and move on. Else you will get bulldozed by the market. 

In my opinion, In the stock market I saw 3 kinds of people.

1. People who made money: When market goes up, who ever entered the market at that time makes money, but they dont know why they entered and when to exit the position. These are the biggest morons and will ultimately end up losing big. Because they made money once and they dont know the reason for it, they think they will make money all the time and invest so much that they can't handle.

2. People who enter wrong side of the trend in a trade: These people lose money initially, some give up after the initial loss on stock markets and move on. I respect them.

3. People who lose money and spend time to figure out the strategy and reason for their loss: These people will be successful in stocks. While they figure out the strategy and come out of their losses, market will teach them how to be patient, when to enter and exit, how much to invest in a position etc, without knowing these, they generally dont tend to come out of their losses.

I consider myself in the 3rd type, been doing stocks since 5 years and so far it has been working for me. The first year I lost big deal of money as i invested based on news, then 3 years spend on trying different things, while this happened learned about technicals, entries and exits, market cycles etc, ever since then i have made decent amount of money. So what Luck is absolutely needed despite of all the hard work and technical analysis.

Why do you want to invest in Bond fund when you know interest rates have no way to go but up ?

Good posts, Jr.NTR_Fan brother  :shakehands:

Bonds are an asset class that is loosely correlated with stocks. As a long term buy and hold investor, bonds are part of my portfolio. Because of their negative correlation, they (esp treasuries) provide protection during stock market downturns, they are less volatile and they provide fixed income.

To answer your question, there is no direct correlation between rising interest rates and bond prices. If it were, everyone would just short bonds and make money at a time like this (when fed is talking about raising interest rates). Yes, when the interest rates rise, bond fund value may go down temporarily (esp for long-term bonds), at the same time bond yields rise too (more income). If you hold the bonds to their maturity, you get the interest payments and you get the principle back at the end of the term, if the bond issuer doesn't go bankrupt. So, you want to make sure you are buying good quality bonds (investment grade, treasuries), not junk bonds. A well diversified bond index fund like VBTLX serves exactly that. During 2004-2005 time frame, fed increased interest rates 4-5%. If you look at the historical data for bond funds during that period, they did reasonably well. 

There is risk in everything. Sizing that risk is important, to the level one can tolerate.

There is more to bonds than just rising and falling interest rates. Its not that simple. Refer to the link I provided at the beginning of this thread (https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page). There is lot more information there about bonds than I can explain here.

As for technical analysis, entry/exit ... that's market timing .. not my game :)

5) SIP - This is BS according to me as the buying and selling dates are kinda fixed to average down or up. Timing is everything for anything, SIP's are not at all good.

May be I understand SIP wrong, but a quick look at it tells me that its similar to dollar (or rupee) cost averaging method. Just a way to slowly build wealth. Someone just starting career don't have lot of money to invest. Set aside a fixed amount of money each month (preferably in a tax sheltered account) and invest. Over a long period (30-40 years), it helps absorb ups and downs. That's how 401k/IRAs are designed. How to invest that saved money is a different issue, which is the topic of this thread.

May be I misunderstand SIP.

every investment has inherent risk associated. difference is in risk severity. Agreed, timing is important but should not be the only criteria if you are looking for long term especially in real estate. If every thing goes down hill you still own some thing. sure you would be at loss but most likely never be "zero". there is no such guarantee in stocks.

Total market index funds provide that guarantee, sort of :)

Its reasonable to think that the entire market (all the companies that make up the index) wouldn't go bankrupt at the same time. Ofcourse there are scary moments like in 1929 and 2008, everything lost 50-80%. 

Total market index funds provide that guarantee, sort of :)

Its reasonable to think that the entire market (all the companies that make up the index) wouldn't go bankrupt at the same time. Ofcourse there are scary moments like in 1929 and 2008, everything lost 50-80%. 

agreed, i should have been more specific and included word "individual" there

Good post, brother.

Highlight cheesina part chetulu kaalchukunna andariki varthisthundi anukunta (including me :) )

But, my suggestion is not to shun the stock market completely. Historically stock markets provided best inflation adjusted returns over a long period  (100+  years), Stock market is just one part of my portfolio (bigger part), not my entire portfolio. I'd never invest 100% of my money in the stock market.

Whatever I invest in stock market, I would not touch individual stocks ... my suggestion is to stay away from those ... India or US.

In US ... for me, the choice is obvious ... index funds and passive investing. This puts you ahead of 90%+ of the financial advisers. Psychologically its hard to wrap your head around index investing. Trust me, indexing is the single most profound financial innovation in the last 100+ years. God bless Jack Bogle!

In India, for various reasons, Indexing is not popular yet. So, still need to do some due diligence in finding good diversified actively managed mutual funds with atleast 15-20 years of history. Find 3-5 funds that cover most sectors of the economy. Invest in them periodically (its called SIP, I think). 

I had some notes on Indian mutual funds ... unfortunately I deleted that when I learned that I cannot invest in Indian mutual funds.

Did I mention longterm capital gains from Indian equity mutual funds are tax exempt? They are. I don't know how people perceive this ... imo, this is a huge tax benefit. You don't have this adv with individual stocks (as far as I know). 

Just my two cents ... as usual.

Not sure about others, most of my savings have been in india so far. I got into savings and investments with the help of my brother. He introduced me to this world 3 years back and now I have gained enough knowledge to post it here. But I do lack any knowledge on investments in the US. Thanks for the thread, it will help me get started. 

As for the investments in india, I mostly follow 2 websites on a regular basis and some articles which my brother shares now and then. So far its been good.

Valueresearchonline

freefincal

The basic knowledge you get from these sites is pretty good. If you follow these websites, you will come to appreciate the fact of savings and making it a habit to save money. All I did when I started was select 4 mutual funds and 1 debt fund. 1 fund was Large cap, 1 fund was Small cap, 1 fund was multi-cap and 1 was mid-cap and 1 short term debt fund. I use the debt fund as my emergency money too.  I always have 30% of my corpus in a debt fund.

Rule number 1 to saving/investing: Create an emergency fund. It could be your savings account or any debt fund which is relatively safe to market conditions. It should have money to serve your needs for at least 4-5 months (longer if you have more dependents like kids,parents etc)

Rule number 2 is not to be greedy, keep your expectations in check and you will never be disappointed. You have a ton of old data for any of the funds which have been around for 20-30 years. So some of the funds have seen 4-5 market cycles. You can never be 100% sure in investments but it will more or less give you a good picture on where you will end up if you have the discipline to invest regularly. 

I started of with SIP in all the 4 equity funds. I split every fund to biweekly sips, so that way with 4 funds i have 8 sips every month and they span the whole month instead of one specific date. Most of us are lazy to start and spend enough time towards investing. For such people the above is a good start. After gaining some knowledge I started to move slowly away from SIP. I reduced my SIP amounts on couple of funds and started to invest in them in lumpsum based on market conditions. Having SIP's to at least some extent is a good idea because when you get busy in life there is nothing you need to do and your investments would be moving on. 

Also whenever I get extra money as a bonus at work or money returned by a friend, I first put it into debt fund and then when market valuations seems ok, invest as lumpsum in one of my equity funds. 

The main advantage of investing in equity fund is gains are tax free after 1 year. So if I sell of my investments I made a year back, all the returns are tax free. I'm of the opinion that the wave of making money in RE is over. Also its a very risky proposition. 

However as everybody else mentioned never get married to a particular investment. I started off with Equity markets as it was easiest and most reliable way. I will venture into RE too shortly once I have a decent corpus. Only after you have a decent corpus, fear sets in and you start to diversify. 

If you have the time and energy venture into non sip route, else take a hybrid approach like me. I have better things to do than tracking individual stocks on a daily basis. Its not my cup of tea. Somebody else might enjoy it. So the approach to investing depends on your own priorities and interests. 

Hope this helps somebody !!!

Also, the main difference i started appreciating in MF's is the peace of mind. Even during the crash of 2008, most of the funds recovered 90% in less than 1.5 years. Not bad after all. Also if I need money on personal emergency I can get it in a day, without having to deal with anybody. 

Not sure about others, most of my savings have been in india so far. I got into savings and investments with the help of my brother. He introduced me to this world 3 years back and now I have gained enough knowledge to post it here. But I do lack any knowledge on investments in the US. Thanks for the thread, it will help me get started. 

As for the investments in india, I mostly follow 2 websites on a regular basis and some articles which my brother shares now and then. So far its been good.

Valueresearchonline

freefincal

The basic knowledge you get from these sites is pretty good. If you follow these websites, you will come to appreciate the fact of savings and making it a habit to save money. All I did when I started was select 4 mutual funds and 1 debt fund. 1 fund was Large cap, 1 fund was Small cap, 1 fund was multi-cap and 1 was mid-cap and 1 short term debt fund. I use the debt fund as my emergency money too.  I always have 30% of my corpus in a debt fund.

Rule number 1 to saving/investing: Create an emergency fund. It could be your savings account or any debt fund which is relatively safe to market conditions. It should have money to serve your needs for at least 4-5 months (longer if you have more dependents like kids,parents etc)

Rule number 2 is not to be greedy, keep your expectations in check and you will never be disappointed. You have a ton of old data for any of the funds which have been around for 20-30 years. So some of the funds have seen 4-5 market cycles. You can never be 100% sure in investments but it will more or less give you a good picture on where you will end up if you have the discipline to invest regularly. 

I started of with SIP in all the 4 equity funds. I split every fund to biweekly sips, so that way with 4 funds i have 8 sips every month and they span the whole month instead of one specific date. Most of us are lazy to start and spend enough time towards investing. For such people the above is a good start. After gaining some knowledge I started to move slowly away from SIP. I reduced my SIP amounts on couple of funds and started to invest in them in lumpsum based on market conditions. Having SIP's to at least some extent is a good idea because when you get busy in life there is nothing you need to do and your investments would be moving on. 

Also whenever I get extra money as a bonus at work or money returned by a friend, I first put it into debt fund and then when market valuations seems ok, invest as lumpsum in one of my equity funds. 

The main advantage of investing in equity fund is gains are tax free after 1 year. So if I sell of my investments I made a year back, all the returns are tax free. I'm of the opinion that the wave of making money in RE is over. Also its a very risky proposition. 

However as everybody else mentioned never get married to a particular investment. I started off with Equity markets as it was easiest and most reliable way. I will venture into RE too shortly once I have a decent corpus. Only after you have a decent corpus, fear sets in and you start to diversify. 

If you have the time and energy venture into non sip route, else take a hybrid approach like me. I have better things to do than tracking individual stocks on a daily basis. Its not my cup of tea. Somebody else might enjoy it. So the approach to investing depends on your own priorities and interests. 

Hope this helps somebody !!!

Fantastic post brother ... thank you  :shakehands:

Thought some here would like to watch this interview of Jack Bogle.

This man fundamentally changed the investing world ... esp in America. Managed financial services industry in America is still fighting this man and trying to undermine his ideas every chance they get ... after 50+ years ... they're squealing in pain ... Telugu lo cheppalante arthanadamulu :)

Enough hyperbole ... here is the video. As usual, if you don't like it ... just move on ...

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/03/18/full-interview-john-c-bogle-on-the-economy.cnn

Archived