Investment Thread

minion

I'd like to start a new investment thread  ... it doesn't have to go too far ...

My intention is to share our collective knowledge ... to learn from each other ...  to make sure we don't lose our hard earned money to scamsters ...

Please express and post your experiences ... I'll be glad to share mine.

Just to start  ... stock picking is a losers game ... that's just  how cbnc makes money ... and how you lose your money.

How about not investing in individual stocks? As a start, how about some diversified mutual funds with low expenses? Let's start the discussion ...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indian stock markets have some lag ... finding a good mutual fund with good returns takes some research. Spend that time ... understand the implications ... make sure you feel comfortable with the fund you choose. Don't rush into markets now.

If you're going to a 'financial adviser' ... ask about how they did for the past 3/5/10/15 years returns ... and beyond ... Compare  ... especially how they did during 2008 crisis (no, 2008 is not just about america)... Its not complicated ... If an 'adviser' talks some nonsense you don't understand (most often they do)  ... then, that's what it is ... just nonsense.

I wish I knew what I know now. Trust me, I've been in this longer to realize.

I want to give some suggestion to the young folks who are starting their careers ... see if you can understand the wisdom ... 

Its not entirely appropriate to Indian stock markets  ... but, its not too far off ... I wish I knew these things when I was your age ... 

https://www.bogleheads.org/

BTW, this is based on Jack Bogle. Read about him.

couple of years ago I went to a 'financial adviser' ... 

One of the first things he proposed was an annuity with 6% commission (ofcourse the commission was hidden deep somewhere). That means he gets 6% of whatever I invest right out the gate. Of course I knew nothing about annuities at the time ... and had to spend considerable time reading about it ... guess what ... that stupid thing he proposed was meaningless ... it had a GRAND return of 1.3% with an option to cap ... not to mention it was in an IRA. One of the benifits of this stupid thing was the return was tax deferred. In an IRA it doesn't make any sense.  Its already tax deferred.

I guess, what I'm saying is ... watch out ... there are lot of sleazy people out there.

A fiduciary rule would have stopped this 'adviser' from even proposing this thing to me ... imagine someone whose naive (not that I'm smart or anything) ... who doesn't want to spend time researching. How would it affect them.

Did I say my 'adviser' charged me 3% AUM? He did :)

Part of this post is to show how dumb I was ... so others can learn   :shakehands:

Anyone have idea about buying premium apartment like mantri, brigade, salarpuria, godrej, Prestige ETC in bangalore for an investement purpose ? The quoting prices are going up like crazy .. within 2-3 years 30-40L(90L to 1.2/1.3C) jump avthunnayi ... But, how difficult is to sell them at that price? Rent 30-40K ee branded lo cakewalk ... 50k kuda vasthunayi location ni batti ..  

anyone who says that want to manage your money ... don't walk ... RUN AWAY ... with all your energy.

I have nothing to gain from this ... I'm not courting your business ... just want to see some of you NOT make the same mistakes I did. 

Take care, guys ... there are lot of wolves out there ... protect what is rightfully yours. 

Anyone have idea about buying premium apartment like mantri, brigade, salarpuria, godrej, Prestige ETC in bangalore for an investement purpose ? The quoting prices are going up like crazy .. within 2-3 years 30-40L(90L to 1.2/1.3C) jump avthunnayi ... But, how difficult is to sell them at that price? Rent 30-40K ee branded lo cakewalk ... 50k kuda vasthunayi location ni batti ..  

apartment ki 1.2C naa ?? mumbai thane lone aa price undi anukunna inni rojulu... :dream:

Shares lo investment chesi profit pondhevaallu only 10% untaaru... Investment in real estate is safe and profitable ani na opinion...

Don't invest in shares .....inka chaala business lu Vunnayi cheyyataniki better avoid it unless you are master in that

Shares anedi vyasanam & kooda andulo padithe

Chaala kastam

Inka interest ga vunte SIP lo pettandi

I read somewhere that an investment of 10k in infosys in 1995 has turned 4cr by 2012.

IT bavvuntundhi ani nannu engineering lo join chesaru ma dad, adhey investment e company Medha Chesi untey crorepati iyyundeyvaru!

Stocks lo investments long-term profitable emo anipistondhi!!

1) invest on land .

2) invest on house/apartment ( only if you want to stay )

3) invest on commercial space if your job is insecure or if you have above.

4) if you still have savings you can try investings

On SIP or try some innovative things with pure risk ( only 10 -20 % risk )

Don't ever invest on one thing or one place

I read somewhere that an investment of 10k in infosys in 1995 has turned 4cr by 2012.

IT bavvuntundhi ani nannu engineering lo join chesaru ma dad, adhey investment e company Medha Chesi untey crorepati iyyundeyvaru!

Stocks lo investments long-term profitable emo anipistondhi!!

As you said Good Stocks lo kuda SIP cheyyavachhu. Not only in Mutual Funds. SIP in Good Stocks give Far Superior Returns than Mutual Funds.

mee 401k ee funds lo pettaru betharu mee vallu?  :shakehands:

any index funds you know of ?  :dream:

Most 401k's offer atleast some index funds, usually either VTSAX (total market index fund) or VINIX (S&P 500 index fund). Maa dantlo VINIX undi.  I have 75/25 VINIX / VBTLX. VBTLX is total bond index fund. 

VTSAX unte adi better. It covers total US stock market (over 3500 stocks market weighted).

401K unte company match unna lekapoina max contribute cheyyandi. Its tax deferred. Its a major advantage.

FSTVX - Fidelity total stock index fund (same as VTSAX)

FUSVX - Fidelity s&p 500 index fund.

Shares lo investment chesi profit pondhevaallu only 10% untaaru... Investment in real estate is safe and profitable ani na opinion...

RE is definitely another asset class for diversification. Like others mentioned, shouldn't be putting everything into 1 or 2 asset classes.

US lo ayithe housing bust lo (2007) chala mandiki RE investment lo loss vachindi. Besides, chala expenses untai houses meeda (property tax, insurance, PMI, maintenance etc). Ivanni consider cheyyali total return lo.

US lo aithe simplest thing to do is take full advantage of 401K. Find low cost index funds in your 401k offering (total market fund or s&p 500 index fund) couple that with a bond index fund. Some include some international exposure (international index fund ex-US). This is called 3 fund portfolio. Set the asset allocation to match your risk tolerance and leave it. Don't even look after that.

plus on top of that 1% expense min. annualy plus acct maintenance charges. index etf better emo mari returns lo.  :ready2fight:

Index funds and passive investing is the best way to go. VTSAX expense ratio is 0.04% (or its etf equivalent VTI) which is negligible. I can't believe I paid 3% AUM to that adviser. Vanguard or Fidelity doesn't charge acct maintenance fees. If your company 401k doesn't offer low cost index funds, may be you should contact HR and ask them to include some of these funds. Sometimes they listen, worth a try.

3 year return 9.8%.. :blink:

You think its low? I'll be happy with that return :)

What scares me though is a 2008-9 like crash when most funds lost 50-70% (VTSAX lost 37%, drawdown was near 50% though). Luckily it recovered and went beyond, thanks to the bull market run the last 8 years.

Those are the killers. They seriously test your mettle. Many individual stocks lost 99% and never recovered.

In this low interest environment you have no choice but to participate in the stock market. Game is how to play it some what safe.

Savings accts, CD rates are just pathetic ... you might as well shove the money under the mattress.

India real estate try chesa (before it was a hot commodity) ... pettindi kuda raala ... Problem is I have no control over that process ... others meeda (family and friends) depend ayithe final ga chippa ichharu. So lost confidence in that.

Naa situation varaku best to stick to index funds and passive investing.

Archived