Investment Thread

minion

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just sharing,

When investing we are of the mentality how much I get in near future.

Always bear in mind, never ignore the magnitude of your 'initial investment'. I just took a survey from around 2000 samples before I started to get into any form of investments. These are my outcomes.

1) People usually expect the money to double either in 3-4 years.

2) They always asked the same question "Entha pedithe nela ki entha ostundi/ entha pedithe last ki entha ostundi"

3) If they arrive at a comfortable figure which satisfies them based on their economic situations, they are ready to go an extra mile and get 25% extra of their initial investment

4) Everybody comfortably ignore the extra 25% which they hiked up including "ME".

a) People are expecting their amount to double in 3-4 years. Which means you are expecting a share to double the price in its 4 years. 100% return in 4 years. This is greedy. You'll bite dust if not now but later. And that biting will be horrible as anything which you get easily also leaves easily.

B) Never hike your investment after listening to the amount promised. Infact you should ask for something more than promised as you've already increased your investment.

c) Calculate your investments along with their "Absolute returns"

Coming to myself on stocks,

I purchased a few. I'm always a long term buyer aiming at a 5-10 year range. I just invested an amount of 1.1Lkh diversified into 7  stocks.

I picked 1 stock based on sentiment.

3 on suggestions

1 after studying.

2 after seeing forums (as people were crazy to buy)

My overall loss till date is 15%

I lost 35% 50% & 100% on 3 suggested shares

Gained 18% and lost 22% on the one i bought after seeing it on online forums

gained 15% on my sentiment share. Though the price went down badly because of an issue with US govt.

Gained 75% on the studied share.

This sums up my experience. And must be an eye opener. Never run behind easy money :)

Just sharing,

Excellent post, Akhil. Thanks for sharing. 

You're exactly right. Expectation of doubling the money in 3-4 years is just unrealistic. Some may get that kind of return in some shadow/shady investments , but people seem to ignore the risks. In money matters, there is no free lunch ... if something is too good to be true ... it usually is. As Indian economy grows and stabilizes, interest rates will come down ... inflation will be brought under control (with good governance). That means double digit returns will be hard to come by, let alone doubling in 3-4 years (unless you're Warren Buffett).

Regarding your stock allocation ... consider a well diversified mutual fund instead of individual stocks. Besides the obvious tax advantage on longterm cap gains (which I think is huge adv) ... it normalizes ups and dows and gives steady growth over long term.

About the survey I mentioned earlier ... I was surprised to see that only 10% Indians are interested in stock markets. With proper risk adjusted asset allocation, stock market is legit. People should consider it as an asset class and consider investing part of their savings (only a part, not everything) into proper investment vehicles (no individual stocks for me :) )

I encourage others to share thier good or bad experiences with the financial markets (or other investments). We can learn from each other  :shakehands:

Edit: Forgot to mention one more thing ... when you invest in proper companies ... you're actually contributing to the country's economy ... you own a piece of it. There are legit companies that take investor money and create jobs, grow the local economy, innovate new things ... and you, as an investor, benefit from all that ... being a small part of that cycle is a good thing, IMO :)

(this thought actually came from Sr Fan).

interesting akhil especially eedu cheppadu aadu cheppadu ani kone shares evaithe vuntayo chudu masey :P

hehe doubt lekunda. mana db lo ne unaru lakko  leka peekkko leka  ikada bayata padaleka kontha mandi :D they were blaming the person who suggested or the person trading. I blamed them simple. One time is a lesson. Not every time. :D :D 

Excellent post, Akhil. Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks bro.

I remember having a small chat with Chandas uncle long back.

It was regarding risk-free investments.

I told him i invested into LIC. chandas uncle apudu adi atu cheri itu cheri inflation lo mamul bank FD return eh ga anaru. I agreed with him on the same thing then. 

I presented the same argument with my manager.

He simple said, "Yes! But you forgot the fact that it is a E_E_E grade investment"

Tax exempted when you invest it.

Tax invested when you get it.

Tax exempted even after you have it in your bank.

Waiting for your view on this bro :D

Thanks bro.

I remember having a small chat with Chandas uncle long back.

It was regarding risk-free investments.

I told him i invested into LIC. chandas uncle apudu adi atu cheri itu cheri inflation lo mamul bank FD return eh ga anaru. I agreed with him on the same thing then. 

I presented the same argument with my manager.

He simple said, "Yes! But you forgot the fact that it is a E_E_E grade investment"

Tax exempted when you invest it.

Tax invested when you get it.

Tax exempted even after you have it in your bank.

Waiting for your view on this bro :D

Hi Akhil, 

You sound beyond your age young man :)

First thing I want to say is ... there is no such thing as risk-free investment ... everything carries inherent risk ... be it stock market, realestate or local chits ... sizing that risk is what's important.

I'm not sure what your mgr meant by EEE grade ... I guess he's talking about investment grade given by some rating agencies like moodys or s&p. IMO, these rating agencies are seriously compromised. At the best, they tell you the obvious after the fact ... you might as well not bother :)

After a long time of ups and downs ... I learned to keep things simple and stupid (KISS principle, keep it simple and stupid :) ) .

If a financial product sounds complicated ... move away.

In US, index funds is the best way to go ... but, in India, for whatever  reason index funds are are not popular ... I'd like to say its because of market inefficiencies ... but, some would take it offensive though. 

Nonetheless ... many managed mutual funds in India are outperforming indexes for various reasons ... for this reason, I'd choose a well diversified managed mutual fund that has 15-20 year track record that atleast beats local inflation (which is around 10% in India currently).

I had some notes on Indian mutual funds ... unfortunately, I lost it. Sorry. But, you should be able to pull up credible historic data from MonrningStar (India) or other related sites. 

I'll post some useful links as I find them.

Take care, my friend.

Hi Akhil, 

You sound beyond your age young man :)

First thing I want to say is ... there is no such thing as risk-free investment ... everything carries inherent risk ... be it stock market, realestate or local chits ... sizing that risk is what's important.

I'm not sure what your mgr meant by EEE grade ... I guess he's talking about investment grade given by some rating agencies like moodys or s&p. IMO, these rating agencies are seriously compromised. At the best, they tell you the obvious after the fact ... you might as well not bother :)

Thank you bro :) :)

EEE

ante paina esa ga. It is exempted from your tax as 80C or something

And the payment/settlement you get after maturity is also non taxable.

The return earned after you place that lumpsum in bank again is also non taxable ani :)

Thank you bro :) :)

EEE

ante paina esa ga. It is exempted from your tax as 80C or something

And the payment/settlement you get after maturity is also non taxable.

The return earned after you place that lumpsum in bank again is also non taxable ani :)

If I understand this correct ... its tax free when you contribute, its tax free growth ... and more importantly, its tax free when you withdraw. Is that correct?

Man that sounds spectacular ... we have something half assed ... 401k which is tax deferred, means you have to pay tax when you take out ... and Roth IRA which you have to pay tax upfront but growth is tax free.

If I understand this correct ... its tax free when you contribute, its tax free growth ... and more importantly, its tax free when you withdraw. Is that correct?

Man that sounds spectacular ... we have something half assed ... 401k which is tax deferred, means you have to pay tax when you take out ... and Roth IRA which you have to pay tax upfront but growth is tax free.

Ya It is tax free bro :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Not even 5 % and didnt find one who has been continously doing for more than 8 years

Share market ni encourage cheyyakandi even if you are successful - especially in India huge inside trading all gambling

Invest chesi konni years vadilesthe OK - Daily trading lu cheste M gudisipotharu

Personal experience and my colleagues experiance tho chepthunna.

2 or 3 years baagane vunattu anipisthadi Maname thopulam anipisthadi okatesari every 7 years oka pedda dhebba kodathadi appudu telustadi - how much expert we are in stock market

Stay away from stock market

+11111

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aemetis, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMTX) said that, Universal Biofuels, an India-based subsidiary of Aemetis Inc., has signed a three-year biofuels supply agreement with BP Singapore Pte Ltd., the regional trading arm of BP Plc. The Aemetis plant in Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh, has a capacity of 50 million gallons per year and is the first and only India biofuels producer approved under California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard for delivery of tallow and waste oil Modiesel, according to Aemetis, which is headquartered in California. In April, Aemetis filed a patent on process technology developed at the Kakinada plant for the conversion of a wide range of waste feedstocks into Modiesel.

http://www.aemetis.com/company/facilities/

eedu emanna legustadu antara? 1.45$ undi stock and right now forecasts are very bad...bUt Today they got this deal&approval...

Archived