140 approval

Kumbk

10 hours ago, freeks said:

He said EB1B, which is like PhD criteria I guess...

Yes. EB1 has three sub categories,  A, B, and C. 

A is for extraordinary ability in any field (ex: movie star with an Oscar award, scientist with a Nobel prize or sportsman with national or international prizes). No need of sponsorship and anyone can apply on their own. Most of PhDs if not sponsored go this route. My EB1A petition was denied last year.

B is for outstanding researcher or professor. Has to be sponsored by universities/labs/companies with at least three researchers and the beneficiary needs a full time permanent research or tenure track faculty position. I work as a researcher at a US national lab and the lab sponsored my petition.

The criteria for A and B overlap for researchers. In A, 3 out of 10 criteria have to be met, where as in B, 2 out 10 have to be met. Meeting the criteria doesn't get you qualified automatically. After meeting the criteria, there is an overall determination whether the person has international recognition for major contributions. The last point is subjective and every officer decides differently. 

C is for international managers. This category is the easiest to apply. 70% of EB1 applications are in this subcategory.

Archived