πŸŽΎβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹TENNIS Thread | Oct/Nov/Dec 2023 | ATP Finals πŸŽΎβ€‹β€‹

Husker

After many thoughts I have decided not to play this year’s US Open. The situation is very complicated worldwide, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don’t have control of it.
We know that the reduced tennis calendar is barbaric this year after 4 months stopped with no play, I understand and thank for the efforts they are putting in to make it happen. We have just seen the announcement of Madrid not being played this year.
All my respects to the USTA, the US Open organisers and the ATP for trying to put the event together for the players and the fans around the world through TV.
This is a decision I never wanted to take but I have decided to follow my heart this time and for the time being I rather not travel.

Β 

Β 

USTA announces entry list today

Three-time championΒ Novak DjokovicΒ will lead this year’sΒ US OpenΒ playing field, featuring younger ATP Tour starsΒ Dominic Thiem,Β Daniil Medvedev,Β Stefanos TsitsipasΒ andΒ Alexander Zverev, who will be eying an opportunity to make their Grand Slam breakthroughs.

Djokovic, who won theΒ US OpenΒ in 2011, ’15 and ’18, will be attempting to win an 18th Grand Slam title. The Serb was on an unbeaten 18-match winning streak to start 2020 before the ATP Tour was suspended due to COVID-19 in March. That run included his eighth title at theΒ Australian OpenΒ and him steering Serbia to victory in the inauguralΒ ATP Cup.

Younger ATP Tour stars will look to snap the 'Big Three' stranglehold at the majors, with Djokovic,Β Rafael NadalΒ andΒ Roger FedererΒ combining to win the past 13 Grand Slam titles. Federer will not play this year'sΒ US OpenΒ as he recovers from knee surgery. Nadal was not named on the entry list released today by the USTA.

Thiem is a three-time Grand Slam finalist, having fallen to Djokovic in this year’sΒ Australian OpenΒ championship match and to Nadal in the 2018-19Β Roland GarrosΒ finals. Medvedev reached his first and only Grand Slam final last year in New York, when he pushed Nadal to five sets.

Tsitsipas, the reigningΒ Nitto ATP FinalsΒ champion, reached the 2019Β Australian OpenΒ semi-finals after beating Federer in the fourth round. Zverev, a winner of three ATP Masters 1000 titles, achieved his best Grand Slam result earlier this year at theΒ Australian Open, where he reached the semi-finals (l. Thiem).

Also in theΒ US OpenΒ field is Italy’sΒ Matteo Berrettini, who reached the semi-finals last year (l. Djokovic). World No. 10Β David GoffinΒ will also be at Flushing Meadows, as will 2014Β US OpenΒ championΒ Marin Cilic.

Former finalistsΒ Kei NishikoriΒ andΒ Kevin AndersonΒ are also entered, as is 2019 semi-finalistΒ Grigor Dimitrov.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Novak Djokovic Fined $10K on Top of $250K Prize Money for Hitting Line Judge

Novak Djokovic, of Serbia, checks a linesman after hitting her with a ball in reaction to losing a point to Pablo Carreno Busta, of Spain, during the fourth round of the US Open tennis championships, Sunday, Sept. 6, 2020, in New York. Djokovic defaulted the match. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
Β 
Novak Djokovic was issued a $10,000 fine for unsportsmanlike conduct after hitting a line judge with his ball during his round of 16 match up with Pablo Carreno Busta and defaulting from the 2020 U.S. Open.

Djokovic was also docked $250,000 in prize money for his default, which was one of the most notable disqualifications in major tennis history.

"This whole situation has left me really sad and empty. I checked on the lines person and the tournament told me that thank God she is feeling ok," Djokovic wrote on Instagram. "Iβ€˜m extremely sorry to have caused her such stress. So unintended. So wrong. I’m not disclosing her name to respect her privacy. As for the disqualification, I need to go back within and work on my disappointment and turn this all into a lesson for my growth and evolution as a player and human being. I apologize to theΒ U.S. OpenΒ tournament and everyone associated for my behavior. I’m very grateful to my team and family for being my rock support, and my fans for always being there with me. Thank you and I’m so sorry."

"Novak was angry. He hit the ball recklessly, angrily back. And taking everything into consideration, there was no discretion involved,"Β tournament referee Soeren Friemel told reporters. "Defaulting a player at a Grand Slam is a very important, very tough decision. And for that reason, it doesn't matter if it's on Ashe, if it's No. 1 or any other player on any other court. You need to get it right.''

The 2020 French Open is moving ahead as planned and it’s going to look more different than even the US Open has been. Organizers announced on Monday that the site, which spans less than 30 acres, will be split into three zones. Each zone will include a show court and surrounding courts and no movement will be allowed between zones.

β€œSince the international circuit restarted, Roland Garros will be the first tournament with the privilege of hosting an audience," French Tennis Federation president Bernard Giudicelli said.

In accordance with the latest government guidelines capping attendance to 5,000 people in regions like Paris, the federation has scaled down its plans. Unlike the US Open, a qualifying draw will be held though it will be without fans. For the rest of the tournament, fan capacity will be at 50-60 percent, which is roughly 20,000 fans per day. The limit will be 5,000 fans for Court Philippe-Chatrier (it usually holds 15,255 ), 5,000 for Court Suzanne Lenglen (it holds 10,068) and 1,500 for Court Simone-Matthieu (it has a capacity of 5,000). Masks will be required for everyone, even while seated.

The entry lists are looking rock solid with nine of the Top 10 men, led by Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, entered to compete. The entiretyΒ of the women's Top 30 are set to compete with world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty leading the charge. Last week, world No. 18 Milos Raonic expressed concern over the fan allowance.Β 

"The only thing that is of some concern to me is that it's going to be 20,000 fans," he said. "Unless they plan on completely shifting around the organization of the venue, it's hard to get to your practices, get to your matches without crossing 10s if not hundreds of people on the ground. That to me is the biggest concern, especially seeing with the spikes that are going on throughout France right now."

FranceΒ is seeing a surge in COVID-19 cases with more than 30,000 confirmed deaths and the number of daily cases surpassing 8,000 on Friday.Β 

The French Tennis Federation has moved the clay-court major dates twice, and the start date is currently set forΒ Sept. 27Β with the final taking place on Oct. 11. Despite the large reduction in fan attendance the Grand Slam will still award $45 million in prize money, a drop from $50.3 million last year.

• Husker changed the title to πŸŽΎβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹TENNIS Thread | Oct/Nov/Dec 2023 | ATP Finals πŸŽΎβ€‹β€‹