India v New Zealand - 2nd Test

NTRYoungTiger

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bhuvneshwar Kumar: "In India we generally don't get these kind of wickets (with grass cover) and I was just trying to make the most of it. It's always good to be in the mix, you always work hard to play the match and when you contribute, it's always special. Thanks to the physio and trainer, they really worked hard and pushed me to work hard (talking about his recovery from a troublesome ankle). When you are out of the team or not fit, you get matured in terms what you need to do to come back into the game and improve your game. I always enjoy bowling with Shami, especially when the ball reverses. He's a a great character. He's the most lazy in the team, but when he's on the field he gives 100 percent. It's a pleasure to know that the team is ranked No. 1. And to contribute to the win is great. It's a sweet victory for us."

Wriddhiman Saha - Man of the Match:

Saha:  "I am very happy about winning the series and getting my first MoM award, well supported by the crowd and my teammates. No extra pressure. When I was out there, I was thinking about defending the good balls and hitting the bad balls. Kolkata's media has always supported me, and so have the players. I didn't score in the Kanpur match and so took my time in the beginning here and then went to my strengths. I just did my job behind the stump. I watch the ball upto the last minute and use soft hands, that's it." (He's the local boy and Eden Gardens is behind him, cheering and clapping)

Ross Taylor - captain, New Zealand: "Very impressive the way the bowlers stuck it out under tough circumstances. Very hot and humid. We put this Indian side under pressure. India did well. Saha got crucial runs in both the innings and got them over the line. To be honest, I expected the pitch to play different. It's a good cricket wicket. It's just been relaid and guess, with time, it will get better and better. Spinners were able to create some pressure with tight lines. Anytime you have a 112-run deficit, you are under pressure. We took early wickets but the stand between Rohit and Saha took it away and it was difficult to get back. Latham was outstanding today. Hopefully we can get back in Indore. We have nothing to lose. We will play fearless cricket. Need to see what the wicket will be like. Was good to see Williamson at the ground today but still looked a bit pale. Hopefully he can get a bit of energy back in the next few days. Knowing him, he will be back in the nets tomorrow. Doesn't help to have a world class player in your side not playing. Will be good to have our skipper back."

Kohli - captain, India: "Lovely Test match. As Taylor said, this was a brilliant Test wicket apart from the variable bounce here and there. When the wicket settles down, it will be a pretty wanted venue in India. It was an all-round performance. Bowlers did well. Saha did well, with Shami and Bhuvi contributing. Those extra runs were important. We expect fight from a side like New Zealand but it took character to bounce back both times. Saha is the best keeper in the country and he is doing a great job in Tests: is wonderful behind the stumps and can bat. He backs himself and can bat with the tail. Backs himself to play his shots. That hundred in the West Indies really helped his confidence and he has been a revelation for the side. In the 1st innings, we threw it away with loose shots. In the second, NZ bowlers were good and put us under pressure. Rohit showed good intent, played positive cricket and we all know about his love affair with Eden Gardens. I was expecting him to score at least once in these two innings. I think in the last session, when we wanted early wickets, the crowd helped us pick them. That made a massive difference to Shami and it put extra pressure on the new batsmen. So the extra intent to get the crowd going there. To keep playing consistent cricket is our objective, and if we do that, with a long home season, we have a control of the No. 1 ranking. We have played really good cricket for the last one and a half years. We want to keep doing that and show character when needed."

India's landmark Tests at home:
1st: vs Eng, Bombay Gymkhana, 1933 (Lost by 9 wkts)
50th: vs Eng, Delhi, 1964 (Draw)
100th: vs Pak, Bangalore, 1979 (Draw)
150th: vs Zim, Delhi, 1993 (Won by inngs & 13 runs)
200th: vs Pak, Kolkata, 2005 (Won by 195 runs)
250th: vs NZ, Kolkata, 2016 (Won by 178 runs)

Indian venues with most number of Tests and India's performance:
Eden Gardens: 40 matches, 12 won, 9 lost, 19 drawn.
Feroz Shah Kotla: 33 matches, 13 won, 6 lost, 14 drawn
MA Chidambaram Stadium: 31 matches, 13 won, 6 lost, 11 drawn, (1 tied)
Wankhede: 24 matches, 10 won, 7 lost, 7 drawn
Green Park: 22 matches, 7 won, 3 lost, 12 drawn

India have won last 13 Tests at home. Only once they had a longer run at home without losing one - 20 Tests between Jan 1977 & Jan 1980.

Ashwin:  "I think we played on two good Test wickets. We won the toss on a damp wicket, batted first and won: ideal signs for a good team. We do find it (when asked about the No.1 ranking ) as an incentive. It is not as big as a team meeting, but we do talk about it. That's a good sign. We got a young group that can play together for a long time. It is a group that can dominate world cricket. We might have won this with a big margin, but the game was closer than what the scorecard suggests . This is not a five wicket haul for me, but it is one of the more decisive spells I have bowled in Test cricket. We have only four bowlers and it is important to give them (fast bowlers) breaks before they start the new spell. Shami was a delight to watch after Tea."

Archived