20 Upcoming films from around

killer225

My 17 recommendations from London Film Festival

1)Touki Bouki-a 1973 film from Senegal.Digitally Restored by world cinema foundation-Martin Scorsesse.Mind blowing film.

2)Wlatz with Bashir-Best of the best from the festival.I havent seen anything like this before.

3)Hunger-Shocking. Power of cinema!

4)Slumdog Millionaire-When I read the book some few years back I knew it is a definite film material. I didnt like the novel(Q and A) so much. But it was superbly translated to screen by Boyle and Co. Yes I had some issues with the scripts here and there but on the whole its a paisa vasool.

5)Silence of Lorna-If you have likes 4 Months, 3 weeks and 2 days you might like this too.

6)Christmas Tale-Very good film about relationships

7)Still Walking-Brings you the memories of Ozu�s Tokyo Story.Worth waltching

8)The Candidate-Intelligent and convincing thriller

9)Possibility of an Island-I know it was panned by many critics but I liked it.

10)24 City-Only of you like to watch documentaries

11)Tricks-Polish film. Heard that its Poland�s official entry for this year�s Oscars.

12)Laila�s Birthday-The look and feel of this Palestine is very Iranian. Not a great film but worth watching

13)Hooked-Romanian film. A confident booster for all the wannabe filmmakers. Reminded me of Polanski�s first film �A knife in the water�

14)Genova-Again not great film but this is a masterclass for those who wants use the place/location as a character in your film

15)Two Lovers-Interesting

16)The Class is a class apart

17) Il Divo�.oh my god�I dont think anybody can make so stylish a film about a politician�.it was almost like a western.

Speacial mention: The Last thakur- A bangladeshi wetsern. It was good in terms of story/screennplay/acting and cinematography. But it failed very badly in establishing the space.

I was disappointed by

1)Three monkeys-heard lot about Nuri Bilge Ceylan. But this film was very slow.

2)The Good the bad and the wierd-korean Western. A tribute to Sergio Leone. I was very disappointed.

3)W-I dont know what I expected of this movie but I was neither entertained nor enlightened

For detailed info of another 50 upcoming films from around the world have a look at http://navatarangam.com/tag/52nd-london-film-festival/

Archived