Conversions in AP

Prasadr

CBN's popularity is now riding high with farmer loan waiver, he has won over small farmers.

Plus, people were/are still afraid of Jagan.. not just due to his PhD in corruption, but his "hot temper" and aggressive nature.. things I heard from some sources were too fantastic to believe - Jagan used to apparently fight with his dad after the latter pulled him up over his corrupt practices and he supposedly beat his own father black and blue once.. right from the murder of Paritala to jala yagnam scams, everything is attributed to Jagan as his father watched helplessly. YSR's death had indeed caused greater sympathy.

And this is why, the impression I get is Cong/YSRC is far from dead - partly due to the charisma of YSR, he is surprisingly highly respected by the entire lower & mid-strata of society, and people are attached to him. He is perceived as a good man cursed with a spoilt brat of a son. Now if Jagan gets jailed & fried, and Sharmila takes over, she may pose a greater threat.

It also helps them that almost the entire SC and majority of BC population of Guntur, Prakasam, Seema and Godavari districts have already been converted. In some villages its just 1 Hindu caste (say Chowdaries, Reddies) left and rest is entirely Christian. Looking at the way Christmas is being celebrated, one would wonder if AP is already a Christian majority region. Some people say they are at least 30% in most towns, and some villages already have 60-90% Christian population.

Many cab drivers in both AP and TG are muslims, and very indicized and true to their telugu roots. All of them speak fluent telugu, have sons & daughters being educated, not many instances of polygamy - and frankly they know more about temples and rituals than some of our westernized city dwellers do. Many also regularly visit major hindu temples. Islam, particularly the indicized version that is well integrated into mainstream, is not even the remotest of problem for Andhra and rural TG. Perhaps good that partition happened as AP muslims will be free from stranglehold of Hyd based Razakar hawks. The conflict in AP is clearly between Hindus & EJs - who have very strong foreign funds & dedicated votebanks, who are aspiring to exploit caste fissures into alienating a vast chunk of population for some long term geopolitical interests.

RSS is just making its mark and there is a perceived change in the way people are beginning to think about the dangers of conversion.. on the outside, everything is peaceful - but the issue of conversions is on everyone's minds. Locals have started asserting their Hindu identities as well - outside every major town in both Seema and Andhra - huge statues of Lord Hanuman have been erected by locals just in the vicinity of churches. These are typically 30-50ft in height and I think the tallest one around Vijayawada is over 100 ft. Brilliant response by locals, with no role of Sangh parivar.

Whats bad news is almost every other American colleague of mine know what is Andhra Pradesh as they have a friend who recently went over for missionary work in that state - names like Bapatla, Guntur, Machilipatnam roll off their tongues easily. Not everyone may know about Chennai or Kochi, but they know these small towns of AP ! Obviously, given the global dimension involved, locals cannot fight this battle alone and would require pan-hindu forces to assist- hope some higher up in TDP is listening

Conclusion is TDP should take measures to stop conversions for its own long term survival.

As you might be knowing and from my personal experience the moment any BC / FC caste gets converted they are very reluctant to vote for TDP. It is clear that pandering to Evengalists is not going to give anything to TDP as they have other strong option in Ysrcp.

If TDP dilly dallys then BJP will grab the opportunity.

Conclusion is TDP should take measures to stop conversions for its own long term survival.

As you might be knowing and from my personal experience the moment any BC / FC caste gets converted they are very reluctant to vote for TDP. It is clear that pandering to Evengalists is not going to give anything to TDP as they have other strong option in Ysrcp.

If TDP dilly dallys then BJP will grab the opportunity.

Bjp will grab this oppurtunity .........CBN has no guts to go against them inspite of not getting any votes from them.....................

Archived