Quotes on Sachin!!

BBC Sports

Beneath the helmet, under that unruly curly hair, inside the cranium, there is something we don't know, something beyond scientific measure.

Something that allows him to soar, to roam a territory of sport that, forget us, even those who are gifted enough to play alongside him cannot even fathom.

When he goes out to bat, people switch on their television sets and switch off their lives.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasim Akram

I dont know what to bowl at him. i bowled an inswinger n he drove me through covers of d front foot. then i bld an outswinger n he again punched thr covers of d backfoot.

He is d toughest batsmen i 've bowled to

Eddie Barlow

He is Sachin Tendulkar. I hope he stays Sachin Tendulkar. We need a new player, a player in his own way.

He has a technique which is the hallmark of a great player. Everything indicates that he will be a great player and I am sure he will prove me right.

Reminds me of Barry Richards.

Greg Chappel

He is a perfectly balanced batsman and knows perfectly well when to attack and when to play defensive cricket.

He has developed the ability to treat bowlers all over the world with contempt and can destroy any attack with utmost ease.

Abdul Qadir

I Was fielding in the covers Tendulkar came out to bat in his debut Test at Karachi. I still remember Waqar Younis was at his peak form at that time.

Tendulkar tried to drive Waqar through the covers off his very first ball in Test cricket but was beaten all ends up.

But I walked to captain Imran Khan and told him 'this kid looks very good' and Imran agree with me.

Martina Navratilova

Sachin was so focused. He never looked like getting out. He was batting with single-minded devotion. It was truly remarkable. It was a lesson.

Tennis legend joins the Sachin Tendulkar fan club after watching him bat at Sydney.

Alistair Campbell

After loosing to India in the Coca Cola Cup final at Sharjah in November '98

He has everything a top batsman needs. Tendulkar is a classic example of a player being so good that his age is an irrelevance

David Gower

In the last session in Nagpur, when the Indian chase was still on, Tendulkar hit a reverse sweep, an orthodox sweep and a lofted cover drive to (Ian) Blackwell.

They were all exquisite cricket shots. To play those shots deliberately in such quick succession, off almost similar deliveries, was genius.

That was a little jewel, just those 3-4 minutes.

It reminds you how very few people are special. It was a case of great thinking and good technique

Gavaskar..back in 1988 to Tom Alter

I sat in the office of Sportsweek magazine with that same Sunil Gavaskar. Ayaz Memon and I were listening to Gavaskar in one of his rare, priceless moods.

The Little Master was delvering deep into his own experience, his own genius, and bringing forth pearls of wisdom as sudden, and as effective, as his straight- drives back past the bowler.

Then Gavaskar came up with the following statement (remember, this was in 1988, when Dilip Vengsarkar was about to become captain of India):

The two best batsmen in Bombay today are Vengsarkar and Sachin Tendulkar.Full stop. End of statement. The ball crosses the boundary-line underneath the sight- screen.

Archived