ZERO BUDGET FARMING - A CASE STUDY

chsrk

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is organic farming?

Organic farming can be defined as an approach to agriculture where the aim is to create integrated, humane, environmentally and economically sustainable agricultural production systems. Maximum reliance is placed on locally or farm-derived renewable resources and the management of self-regulating ecological and biological processes and interactions in order to provide acceptable levels of crop, livestock and human nutrition, protection from pests and diseases, and an appropriate return to the human and other resources employed. Reliance on external inputs, whether chemical or organic, is reduced as far as possible. In many European countries, organic agriculture is known as ecological agriculture, reflecting this reliance on ecosystem management rather than external inputs.

The objective of sustainability lies at the heart of organic farming and is one of the major factors determining the acceptability or otherwise of specific production practices. The term 'sustainable' is used in its widest sense, to encompass not just conservation of non-renewable resources (soil, energy, minerals) but also issues of environmental, economic and social sustainability. The term 'organic' is best thought of as referring to the concept of the farm as an organism, in which all the component parts - the soil minerals, organic matter, micro-organisms, insects, plants, animals and humans - interact to create a coherent and stable whole.

The key characteristics of organic farming include:

protecting the long term fertility of soils by maintaining organic matter levels, encouraging soil biological activity, and careful mechanical intervention;

providing crop nutrients indirectly using relatively insoluble nutrient sources which are made available to the plant by the action of soil micro-organisms;

nitrogen self-sufficiency through the use of legumes and biological nitrogen fixation, as well as effective recycling of organic materials including crop residues and livestock manures;

weed, disease and pest control relying primarily on crop rotations, natural predators, diversity, organic manuring, resistant varieties and limited (preferably minimal) thermal, biological and chemical intervention;

the extensive management of livestock, paying full regard to their evolutionary adaptations, behavioural needs and animal welfare issues with respect to nutrition, housing, health, breeding and rearing;

careful attention to the impact of the farming system on the wider environment and the conservation of wildlife and natural habitats.

Awesome video avi....eetlemma ivi sootta unte..ee nimusame parigettuku vachchi vyvasayam cheyyalani vundhi.. :dream love: :dream love:

annai as per my view abt u......u r pretty interested in politics and agri ........serving agri sector vil be gr8 launching fro ur political career

so edina new technology from ur research which can be practically implied to agri sector unte kanuka vaccheyyy :jackson:

annai as per my view abt u......u r pretty interested in politics and agri ........serving agri sector vil be gr8 launching fro ur political career

so edina new technology from ur research which can be practically implied to agri sector unte kanuka vaccheyyy :jackson:

avunu avi...Agriculture and politcs are my interests.....I am seriously thinking of coming back....but emi cheyyali...ela proceed avvali...ekkada ninchi starting cheyyali ane dhaani meedha inka spastatha raaledhu...moreover I dont have even minimum resources.....Phd finish ayyina taruvatha minimum oka 2 years work chesi vachcheddamanukuntunna...

ikkada research valla in terms of technology enthavaraku improve ayyanu telvadhu gaani...This research has changed my attitude a lot in terms of looking at things...I have developed a habit of probing things a little deeper....I see that as the only gain...

tis is 100 % perfect .........ala chesina vaadu manchi practices use cheste bagupadutadu ..........but kouluki cheyyakunda naadi matrame chesukuntanu ante hopeless as of now

koulaki teesukunna vallu manchi/chedu gurinchi alochincharu because the land is not their own and they have to think of paying rent at the end of year...

What is organic farming?

Organic farming can be defined as an approach to agriculture where the aim is to create integrated, humane, environmentally and economically sustainable agricultural production systems. Maximum reliance is placed on locally or farm-derived renewable resources and the management of self-regulating ecological and biological processes and interactions in order to provide acceptable levels of crop, livestock and human nutrition, protection from pests and diseases, and an appropriate return to the human and other resources employed. Reliance on external inputs, whether chemical or organic, is reduced as far as possible. In many European countries, organic agriculture is known as ecological agriculture, reflecting this reliance on ecosystem management rather than external inputs.

The objective of sustainability lies at the heart of organic farming and is one of the major factors determining the acceptability or otherwise of specific production practices. The term 'sustainable' is used in its widest sense, to encompass not just conservation of non-renewable resources (soil, energy, minerals) but also issues of environmental, economic and social sustainability. The term 'organic' is best thought of as referring to the concept of the farm as an organism, in which all the component parts - the soil minerals, organic matter, micro-organisms, insects, plants, animals and humans - interact to create a coherent and stable whole.

The key characteristics of organic farming include:

protecting the long term fertility of soils by maintaining organic matter levels, encouraging soil biological activity, and careful mechanical intervention;

providing crop nutrients indirectly using relatively insoluble nutrient sources which are made available to the plant by the action of soil micro-organisms;

nitrogen self-sufficiency through the use of legumes and biological nitrogen fixation, as well as effective recycling of organic materials including crop residues and livestock manures;

weed, disease and pest control relying primarily on crop rotations, natural predators, diversity, organic manuring, resistant varieties and limited (preferably minimal) thermal, biological and chemical intervention;

the extensive management of livestock, paying full regard to their evolutionary adaptations, behavioural needs and animal welfare issues with respect to nutrition, housing, health, breeding and rearing;

careful attention to the impact of the farming system on the wider environment and the conservation of wildlife and natural habitats.

denni follow ayyi mana local crops meeda use chesina case studies emanna vunnaya brother...will try to read them and get a few people back in village interested in them....

denni follow ayyi mana local crops meeda use chesina case studies emanna vunnaya brother...will try to read them and get a few people back in village interested in them....

for sure I will look for them and come back to you brother...Today will be a little busy day for me...But I will come back soon...

Thanks brother, the other articles in site also are interesting, as the case study is on rice..I will tell the response of our farmers in a few days (they will tell their difficulties in implementing that)....

yaa..sure brother...your feedback will be highly appreciated..

Correct timing SRK bro. mee laage naa friend okathanu Agri lover. Ee roju athani nunchi vachhina mail.

http://www.seedme.in/agripreneur-mr-kaustubh-johri-founder-techie-2-aggie/

“Awesome Entrepreneur” – Is it right to call Mr. Kaustubh Johri as Awesome Entrepreneur? If you read his story you will accept this statement. An engineering graduate worked in U.S started his entrepreneurship life as a Agripreneur, Seedme.in had a chance to take an exclusive coverage about the story behind this Awesome Entrepreneur.

How this idea to start your business flourished?

While I was in the US, I was intrigued by the growing awareness about ‘Green Energy’. I shared my vision with my brother and we started exploring opportunities in biomass renewable energy. We soon realized that along with biomass, commercial agriculture would be a viable option for the Indian market. Agriculture in India still provides an attractive opportunity if coupled with clarity of purpose goal, scientific execution and penetrating marketing. Currently government power purchase agreements are not very favorable for the Independent Power Producers (IPP) hence our focus changed to production and marketing Melia Dubia for timber/plywood industries. Based on our experiences so far and market feedback, we are very optimistic about our plantations and are enjoying unparalleled job satisfaction.

Your initial investment in starting this business?

Total capital outlay is spread over a few key tasks. As expected the initial land acquisition is the largest single investment but there were several other tasks with significant capital requirements as we developed our plantations. Aspiring agri-prenuers with limited exposure to agriculture should be aware and not underestimate the costs related to Land Improvement, Farm Infrastructure and Annual Interest Burden. Those purchasing uncultivated or fallow land should be especially careful and include sufficient cost contingency in their purchase decision.

Tell us about educational background & experience.

My formative years were spent at The Doon School in Dehradun, Uttranchal. Living in a pristine environment, I became accustomed to a clean environment, developed principles in conservation of resources and appreciated the proximity to nature. I participated in several environmentally conscious activities at school like leading our Paper Recycling Unit and conducting aforestation programs on the hillsides of the Shivalik and Lower Himalayan ranges. My higher education took place in the United States at Georgia Tech and Duke University from where I received my Bachelors in Electrical Engineering & Masters in Engineering Management respectively. After working for several years in the Semi-conductor industry, I realized I was not connecting with my interests and my passions lay elsewhere. Subsequently, I started discussing the potential of alternative / renewable energy with my brother which finally brought me back home to India. Credit goes to my father, an Air Force officer and his network. They undertook the humongous task of visiting over 110 farm lands before deciding on our current location at Sivaganga. By far the most important decision an aspiring agri-prenuer will need to make will be the land selection. Finally, we started Savera Farms and agricultural activities in 2010. It has been a great journey so far.

Generating power using agri waste & Bio mass looks very interesting, but what kind of implementations that you had done so far to achieve this?

At this point of time, we are not engaged in power production. Currently, our focus is on Melia Dubia, a widely popular feedstock for power generation as well in the timber industry.

What kind of a response you are getting for your idea?

We have received guidance from several industry veterans, academicians and govt offices across our various short / long terms crops. While we continue to learn with each task, our overall experience has been very positive. We believe that embracing scientific practices and proactive execution helps reduce the uncertainty in agriculture to a large extent. There is a growing group of followers at our blog who participate virtually and are very active in seeking our advice and challenging us to think out of the box every time.

What kind of a revenue generation model do you have?

Our portfolio consists of long term, mid-term and short term crops. While Melia Dubia is a long term crop, Mango (under Ultra High density cultivation) is mid to long term crop. So far, our short term portfolio includes Brinjal, Water melon and Drumsticks. We are considering Red Chilly and Turmeric as our next short term crop for the export market.

Converse a situation that uprooted you totally? And how do you tackled and overcame it?

Fortunately, we have not had any plan altering situations so far on the farm.

Your expansion plans.

Our goals for the next year include expanding our acreage under cultivation and high value vegetable production using Hydroponic systems. Over the longer term, we would be very interested in exploring food preservation and processing opportunities.

India is among the most populous nations in the world and the demand (and prices) for food is going to rise. We are at a threshold of a great opportunity to do good for our people (safe food at reasonable prices), ourselves (profitable ventures) and our environment (sustainable practices). This is a rare combination and we feel we are in the right industry at the right time.

Are you looking for investors?

We would be interested in looking for investment for hydroponics and food processing projects. Currently, we are evaluating commercial viability of the same.

Techie2aggie.jpg

Mr. Kaustubh Johri, Founder – Techie 2 Aggie

About your team

Currently, it is me and my father who are actively involved in developing the plantations. My mother and brother are involved in identifying and refining ideas, methods to reduce farm input costs, good agricultural practices etc. We have a team of 10 dedicated farm labors and periodically engage part time village labor. Initial development of a farm is a rigorous and time consuming activity with every member playing an important role.

Please give us an introduction about your company.

Savera Farms was founded in 2010. As of now, we have over 140 acres outside Sivaganga TN. Currently, we are engaged in the cultivation of Melia Dubia and premium Mango varieties under Ultra High Density cultivation. Apart from this, we are running trials for multiple short term vegetable and fruit crops. In the coming years we aspire to expand into more scientific cultivation and food processing. Readers can visitwww.saverafarms.com to know more about our activities.

What are the major activities that you indulge in?

Currently, we are engaged in the cultivation of Melia Dubia and premium Mango varieties under Ultra High Density cultivation. Apart from this, we are /planning on cultivating short term crops like Chilly, Watermelon, Turmeric and Brinjal. We are also evaluating options and technologies in Hydroponics. If we are convinced about the technology, we plan on starting a Hydroponics Pilot next year.

Please tell us about Melia Dubia in detail.

Melia Dubia is a fast growing timber tree. It is part of Neem family. In 1 year, it attains a height of 20 ft and in 2 years you can expect it to reach 40 ft. It is not a water hogger and minimal amount of fertilizer/nutrients is required. The timber from this tree is used in plywood, match, biomass industry.

Can you explain what Ultra High Density cultivation method is? For which plants this method is adopted?

Traditionally, Mango is planted at 10m x 10m spacing. In UHD method, trees are planted at 3m x 3m. It involves continuous pruning from year 2 onwards. So eventually, the tree will not be higher than 6-7 ft. Due to close spacing, number of trees is almost 10 times per acre, which results in higher yield. Typically, the best 40-50 fruits are picked per tree. Advantage of this technology is easy maintenance, lesser water requirement, ease of harvest, higher yield.

Can you give us details on a few success stories which are the outcome of your technologies?

We feel our drip systems have been a success and efficiently deliver water and nutrients. We have over 35 kms of drips lines (laterals) and 5 km of PVC pipes (Main and sub-main pipes) spanning 30 acres. Initial planning and execution was a challenge but since then, we have learnt several lessons and have become more competent in implementing these systems on our farms. In addition, our Shade net cultivation seems to be fast becoming a pre-cursor to our Hydroponic aspirations. We have raised several varieties of crops in it on a small scale and continue to explore new ways to control environment variables like pests, provide irrigation and fertigation.

Your outlook

Your message to the entrepreneurs

Starting your own venture requires a lot of grit, determination and patience. Do not be disappointed by initial hiccups. Whatever you do, ensure extensive ground work and research has been done before getting into it. Definitely, involve people from industry, professional experts as part of your team to seek their counsel around important tasks and decisions. Aspiring Agri-preneurs can visit our blog atwww.saverafarms.com to know more about our activities.

Your favorite books that gives you inspiration

As they say, Genius is one percent inspiration, and ninety-nine percent perspiration.

Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality (Scott Belsky) is a great book at exploring proven tactics for bringing ideas to reality. A must read for those with a new idea but on the fence about getting started.

vannay idantha endukaani nakoo 10 vacres katnam vache manchi filani sudu , mana ooru poyi 2 kobari settulu kinda nulaka mancham esukuni fadukundam :child:

neeku oka neo-rich sambandham set seddam leve....aalle neeku correstga setting avuthaaru..Brahmi-5.gif

Good post, haven't got a chance see the videos but will definitely watch over the weekend.

Chsrk brother,

Mee laga nenu same expectations tho vachanu things are different here,labor cost too much expensive ga vundhi. let me give you some example of how much it will cost to cultivate 1 acre mirchi.

One assistant in olden days jeethagdu.. people don't like if you call them in that way now.. I'm getting a feeling that you have agriculture family background(correct me i f i'm wrong) .. salary is 70K to 1 lac per year it used to 10 K to 20K per year few years ago.. he will not show up when you are in need like kalupu, kotha appudu and when you apply fertilizer/pesticide..

additional benefits:

Celll provide cheyali, salary advance pay cheyali.. I guarantee you he won't lift your call when you call them you need call him from different mobile rey.. :child: .. festival batalu kuda ivali.. atleast 2 of our festivals and 1 of his festival (if he is from different religion)

finding land.. if you have land you are good if not you need to pay 10K to 13k per year for lease.. land cleaning etc another 3 to 4 K depending land condition.

Mirchi seeds or naru will cost you another 5K , then electricity it will take lot of your frustration.. I mean it.. if you do the regular agriculture you have to spend another 15 to 20K on chemicals( both fertilizer and pesticide) .. finally and the most hard part is labor.. they will test our Patience levels to the peak..

Our area mirchi kotha kg 5Rupes ki start ayindhi Feb end lo and it will go to 10 to 12RS by end of March, April.. it used to be 4 to 7 till 5 years ago . they will cut 50 Kgs mirchi per day ... here's another interesting point.. their timings.. you need to send them TATA ACE (if you don't know this it's new version of steering auto in India) to their colonies, if required individual pick up and dropping required :child: . they will come to your farming land at 10 and leave at 6.. two hours break including one hour lunch and another one hour relax break..

Coming to the cost it will be 50K per one acre, if you do the organic or Zero farming production wil be 10 kintas.. current mirchi rate 5500 per kinta.. so farmer will get 55K.. only 5k profit in thi venture.. where as if you do the regular farming you will get 15 to 35 Kintas (30 to 35 happened last year).. see the price difference.

I just wanted to say Our govt need to think on various cut down production cost then people will think other options, end of the day every one expect benefit for their effort...

Just to give you another example MP farmers are doing semi organic mirchi from last 6 years now mirchi board of India is buying lot of mirchi from there cos International orders are insisting for that mirchi, so there farmers are getting 500 RS more per one quinta compare to AP farmers. but still farmers in AP are not interested cos of agriculture cost involved in AP.. To be Honest I'm not seeing any immediate solution to this, I spoke to several people who cultivated more than 100 acres of land and now they are out of agriculture..

Nice post bro, at least I expressed my views rather than hiding in me and and burning myself..

Archived