πŸŽΎβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹TENNIS Thread | Oct/Nov/Dec 2023 | ATP Finals πŸŽΎβ€‹β€‹

Husker

Rafael Nadal Named 2021 LaureusΒ Sportsman Of The Year

It is the second time Nadal has won the prestigious award

Β 

Rafael NadalΒ reached the quarter-finals of theΒ Mutua Madrid OpenΒ on Thursday, but that was not his only victory of the day. Later in the evening the Spaniard was announced as the 2021 LaureusΒ Sportsman of the Year.

Nadal also claimed the prestigious award in 2011 and was a nominee in 2009, 2014, 2018 and 2020. The other nominees this year were Joshua Cheptegei, Armand Duplantis, Lewis Hamilton, LeBron JamesΒ and Robert Lewandowski.

β€œI want to say thank you very much from the bottom of my heart to theΒ LaureusΒ Academy. I have had some amazing competitors,” Nadal said. β€œThe rest of the sportsmen probably deserve the trophy the same as me, but this was the year for me and I can’t be happier.

β€œWinning the French Open and equalling the 20th Grand Slam ofΒ Roger FedererΒ has been an unforgettable moment. It means a lot to equal my great rival, but at the same time, my great friend. It’s something very special after all the history we have had together on and off court.

β€œThe pandemic that we are facing is something unprecedented and I want to send a message of support to all the families that have suffered or lost somebody.”

The Spaniard received a message of congratulations from WTA legend Martina Navratilova.

β€œWhat can I say to you that hasn't been told to you by countless others? But, for me, watching you play, watching you compete for every point as if it is match point, your total and utter commitment to the sport, your professionalism is off the charts,” Navratilova said. β€œPeople will be writing books about you so that they can teach others to do what you have done so well for, now almost 20 years. So, I salute you, I respect you, I love watching you play and I hope you never quit so you can win, maybe 30Β Roland GarrosΒ titles. Anyway,Β congratulations.”

Naomi Osaka earned a record $55.2 million in total earnings in the last 12 months, more than any female athlete in history.
$5.2 million from prize money and an estimated $50 million off the court in the last 12 months. Osaka lands at No. 15 in Sportico’s ranking of the world’s 100 highest-paid athletes.

Tsitsipas really got the luck of the draw there. Bautista-Agut might be a challenge for him but other than that favourite for the final. Djokovic looks pretty safe as well but Nadal got a nightmare quarter: Popyrin, Gasquet, Sonego, Sinner or Monfils, Schwartzman or Rublev, Djokovic then Tsitsipas or Thiem if he turns up

3 hours ago, karthik_n said:

Β 

endhi federer nadal perlu paina kindha esaru, house theesi first round match paddadha iddariki :blink: fed inka packup ee first round loney 😣

Nadal kante mundu joker tho adathadu

• Husker changed the title to πŸŽΎβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹TENNIS Thread | Oct/Nov/Dec 2023 | ATP Finals πŸŽΎβ€‹β€‹