oscar [81] Results

nandakishore

Music (Song)

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

A.R. Rahman           (fireworks)(fireworks)   (India.gif) (India.gif)  (India.gif)  (India.gif)  (fireworks)(fireworks)(fireworks)

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

Including his two nominations this year for Original Song for SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, this is the third Academy Award nomination for A.R. Rahman.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Music (Score)

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

"Jai Ho"

Music by A.R. Rahman; Lyric by Gulzar     (fireworks)(fireworks)   (India.gif) (India.gif)  (India.gif)  (India.gif)  (fireworks)(fireworks)(fireworks)

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Gulzar.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Best Picture

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Christian Colson

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Christian Colson.

Directing

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Danny Boyle

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Danny Boyle.

Cinematography

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Anthony Dod Mantle

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Anthony Dod Mantle.

FILM SYNOPSIS

An eighteen-year-old from the slums of Mumbai finds himself competing on the game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire," where the questions he must answer offer a look back at his earlier life. The show's host, however, insists that he must be cheating and takes steps to force young Jamal to admit that a boy from such an impoverished background could not possibly possess the knowledge necessary to win the show's top prize.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Screenplay by Simon Beaufoy

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH

Hi gang. Thank you very much indeed. There are certain places in the universe you never imagine standing. For me, it's the moon, the South Pole, the Miss World podium and here. It's a tremendous honor, so thank you to the Academy. I certainly wouldn't be standing here tonight without Vikas Swarup, who wrote the book, without which none of Slumdog would ever have happened. So thank you, Vikas.

Tessa Ross from Film4 who shoved the manuscript to my hand and said this is yours, you must go to India. Thank you. My parents who've always supported me throughout everything. My wife Jane, for whom repressed English writers have to write love stories 'cause they can't really say what they mean. Susan Landau and Charlotte Knight, both my manager and my agent, um, and of course, the wonderful Dev, the wonderful Latika and the cast and crew of the film who have taught me so much about India and so much about writing, so they've all sort of changed my life. And finally, um, thank you so much to Danny and Christian, the other two musketeers. Thank you very much.

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the second Academy Award nomination for Simon Beaufoy. He was previously nominated for:

* THE FULL MONTY (1997) -- Nominee, Writing (Original)

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Sound Mixing

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke and Resul Pookutty

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

These are the first Academy Award nominations for Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke and Resul Pookutty.

FILM SYNOPSIS

An eighteen-year-old from the slums of Mumbai finds himself competing on the game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire," where the questions he must answer offer a look back at his earlier life. The show's host, however, insists that he must be cheating and takes steps to force young Jamal to admit that a boy from such an impoverished background could not possibly possess the knowledge necessary to win the show's top prize.

Film Editing

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Chris Dickens

About the Nominee(s) - Click Here to Read Their Personal Story

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Chris Dickens

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Documentary Short

SMILE PINKI            (India.gif) (India.gif)  (India.gif)  (India.gif)                     <<<==  http://www.eenadu.net/archives/archive-22-2-2009/specialpages/sp-haimain.asp?qry=sp-hai1

Megan Mylan

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Megan Mylan.

FILM SYNOPSIS

Pinki, a girl in rural India whose cleft lip has made her a social outcast, has a chance for a new life when she meets a dedicated social worker.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short Film Live Action

SPIELZEUGLAND (TOYLAND)

Jochen Alexander Freydank

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Jochen Alexander Freydank.

FILM SYNOPSIS

In 1942, a German boy believes that his Jewish neighbors are going to Toyland.

Actor in a Supporting Role

Penelope Cruz

VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA

NOMINATED ROLE

Penelope Cruz portrays the fiery Maria Elena, a divorced woman still locked in a complex relationship with her ex-husband.

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH

This is not going to be 45 seconds, I can say that right now. Has anybody ever fainted here? Because I might be the first one. Thank you so much to the Academy. I want to share this with my fellow nominees and with the amazing ensemble of actors that I had the privilege to work with in this movie. Thank you, Woody, for trusting me with this beautiful character. Thank for you having written over all these years some of the greatest characters for women. And I cannot talk about great female characters without thanking my friend Pedro Almodóvar for having made me part of so many of his adventures. Thank you, Bigas Luna, Fernando Trueba, for giving me my first movies. Thank you, Harvey Weinstein. I wanted to dedicate this to my parents and to my brother and sister, to my friend Robert Carlo, who is not with us anymore, and to everyone who has helped me from the beginning and you know who you are and I thank you from my heart.

I grew up in a place called Alcobendas, where this was not a very realistic dream. And I, always on the night of the Academy Awards, I stay up to watch the show and I always felt that this was, this ceremony was a moment of unity for the world because art, in any form, is and has been and will always be our universal language and we should do everything we can, everything we can, to protect its survival. So I thank you so much and I have to say something in Spanish, because everyone&

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the second Academy Award nomination for Penelope Cruz. She was previously nominated for:

* VOLVER (2006) -- Nominee, Actress in a Leading Role

Actor in a Leading Role

Sean Penn

MILK

NOMINATED ROLE

Sean Penn plays Harvey Milk, the camera store owner whose decision to campaign for a place on San Francisco's Board of Supervisors becomes a landmark event within the gay rights movement.

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the fifth Academy Award nomination for Sean Penn. He was previously nominated for:

* MYSTIC RIVER (2003) Winner, Actor in a Leading Role

* I AM SAM (2001) Nominee, Actor in a Leading Role

* SWEET AND LOWDOWN (1999) Nominee, Actor in a Leading Role

* DEAD MAN WALKING (1995) Nominee, Actor in a Leading Role

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Writing (Original Screenplay)

MILK

Written by Dustin Lance Black

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Dustin Lance Black.

FILM SYNOPSIS

As the emerging Gay Pride movement gathers force in the 1970s, it finds a champion and a public face in San Francisco camera store owner Harvey Milk.  Leaving his closeted life in New York behind, Milk moves to California with his lover and soon turns his efforts to politics, campaigning for a spot on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors--a quest that will make him the country's first openly gay man to be elected to public office.

Short Film (Animated)

La Maison en Petits Cubes

Kunio Kato

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH

So heavy. Thank you very much. Thank you, my supporters. Thank you, all my staff. Thank you, my producer. Thank you, Academy. Thank you, animation, Thank you my company, Robot. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto. Thank you very much.

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Kunio Kato

Art Direction

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON

Donald Graham Burt (Art Direction); Victor J. Zolfo (Set Decoration)

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

These are the first Academy Award nominations for Donald Graham Burt and Victor J. Zolfo.

FILM SYNOPSIS

Benjamin Button's life begins at the close of World War I, when he is born with the body of an old man. As the years pass, however, Benjamin discovers that he is gradually becoming younger even as he grows older in experience and wisdom--a situation that informs his relationship with the lovely Daisy, who reenters his life periodically as they grow closer together in physical age.

*****************************************************************************************************************

Make up

Greg Cannom

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the ninth Academy Award nomination for Greg Cannom. He was previously nominated for:

* A BEAUTIFUL MIND (2001) -- Nominee, Makeup

* BICENTENNIAL MAN (1999) -- Nominee, Makeup

* TITANIC (1997) -- Nominee, Makeup

* ROOMMATES (1995) -- Nominee, Makeup

* MRS. DOUBTFIRE (1993) -- Winner, Makeup

* BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (1992) -- Winner, Makeup

* HOFFA (1992) -- Nominee, Makeup

* HOOK (1991) -- Nominee, Makeup

Cannom also received a Technical Achievement Award in 2004 with Wesley Wofford for the development of their special modified silicone material for makeup appliances used in motion pictures.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Visual Effects

Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton and Craig Barron

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

These are the first Academy Award nominations for Eric Barba, Steve Preeg and Burt Dalton.

This is the second Academy Award nomination for Craig Barron. He was previously nominated for:

* BATMAN RETURNS (1992) -- Nominee, Visual Effects

FILM SYNOPSIS

Benjamin Button's life begins at the close of World War I, when he is born with the body of an old man. As the years pass, however, Benjamin discovers that he is gradually becoming younger even as he grows older in experience and wisdom--a situation that informs his relationship with the lovely Daisy, who reenters his life periodically as they grow closer together in physical age.

Costume Design

THE DUCHESS

Michael O'Connor

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Michael O'Connor.

FILM SYNOPSIS

Wed at the age of sixteen to the much-older Duke of Devonshire, young Georgiana Spencer finds herself trapped in a loveless marriage to a cold and unfaithful husband. Immersing herself in the extravagant world of the eighteenth-century English aristocracy, Georgiana becomes the toast of society, celebrated for her beauty and style, even as her conflicts with her husband escalate.

Actor in a Supporting Role

Heath Ledger

THE DARK KNIGHT

NOMINATED ROLE

Heath Ledger portrays the Joker, a psychopathic criminal mastermind who will stop at nothing in his scheme to outwit and humiliate Batman.

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the second Academy Award nomination for Heath Ledger. He was previously nominated for:

* BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (2005) Nominee, Actor in a Leading Role

Documentary Feature

MAN ON WIRE

James Marsh and Simon Chinn

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

These are the first Academy Award nominations for James Marsh and Simon Chinn.

FILM SYNOPSIS

In 1974, French performance artist Philippe Petit hid with several friends after hours in the World Trade Center, strung a high wire between its Twin Towers...and walked between them for the better part of an hour, to the amazement of New Yorkers on the streets below. How Petit planned and executed his spectacle is detailed in extensive interviews with Petit and those who helped him achieve his dream.

Sound Editing

THE DARK KNIGHT

Richard King

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the third Academy Award nomination for Richard King. He was previously nominated for:

* WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) -- Nominee, Sound Editing

* MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD (2003) -- Winner, Sound Editing

FILM SYNOPSIS

Gotham City appears to be heading toward a relatively crime-free future, because of the efforts of Batman, District Attorney Harvey Dent, and Lieutenant Jim Gordon, and Bruce Wayne hopes he will soon be able to abandon his secret identity. The arrival of the terrifying Joker, however, whose actions are motivated solely by his desire to outwit the Caped Crusader, forces Wayne to continue in his role as the city's best hope against the powers of evil.

Animated Feature Film

WALL-E

Andrew Stanton

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH

My producers Jim Morris and Lindsey Collins should really be up here to accept this with me. It's been such an inspiration to spend time with a character who so tenaciously struggles to find the beauty in everything that he sees. It's a noble aspiration to have at times like these. I dearly want to thank everyone that's been on this film: the cast, the crew, everybody at Disney and Pixar Studios. I have to single out Ed Catmull, John Lasseter and Steve Jobs for creating a cinematic safe haven where only a film like WALL-E could be made. To my wife Julie, my kids Ben and Audrey, I love you so much, and I guess I'd be remiss if I did not thank my high school drama teacher Phil Perry for 28 years ago casting me as Barnaby in Hello, Dolly!. Creative seeds are sown in the oddest of places so, uh, thank you so much to the Academy for this.

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

Including his nomination this year for Original Screenplay for WALL-E, this is the fifth Academy Award nomination for Andrew Stanton. He was previously nominated for:

* FINDING NEMO (2003) -- Winner, Animated Feature Film

* FINDING NEMO (2003) -- Nominee, Writing (Original)

* TOY STORY (1995) -- Nominee, Writing (Original)

Archived