Small History of Overseas Releases & Mahesh Babu

RamKe

oh..west windsor is very near to me...i'm not sure as to whether telugu movies are released there...i'll check now...anyways thanks for the headsup !!

no problem bro. :shakehands:

good night.

for future reference... telugu cinemas are released in 3 areas of NJ for most part: North bergen, Edison, East/West Windsor.

i.e North, Central, South.

no problem bro. :shakehands:

good night.

for future reference... telugu cinemas are released in 3 areas of NJ for most part: North bergen, Edison, West Windsor.

i.e North, Central, South.

we have shows in

Multiplex Cinemas at Town Center Plaza

319 Route 130 North , East Windsor , NJ , 08520

Oosaravelli kooda ikkada release aithe awesome....first day ne pandaga chesthaaa...

Good night :)

As we all know the idea of telugu films releasing abroad is something relatively new. Its become another source of revenue for the producer (like satellite rights). However, most films released overseas turn out to be unprofitable for the individual who holds the rights. Yet people buy the rights to spread their name, and for their love of telugu cinema (but this is another issue entirely).

To sum it up... telugu movies overseas began with the release of Ninne Pelladtha way back in 1996. I was one of the 30 or so people who actually saw it in a shitty theater in new jersey (it played in newark).

Based on the audience turnout, it was safe to say that telugu movies would never be released abroad. (At this same point in time, hindi releases, and tamil releases were turning out to be profitable).

Yet movies continued to come and go. Almost all played in only one theater (it was in north bergen NJ... forgot its name. Its not the columbia 12 one that plays them today) and that too for exactly one weekend. Saw countless movies this way... Mass, Malleswari, Jai Chiranjeeva etc just to name a few.

Slowly but surely that one theater expanded to 2. (North Bergen, NJ, and some theater near San Fransico... forgot the name of this one as well).

Eventually movies began releasing in up to 7-8 locations. (By this time... areas like Edison, NJ... and VA also played telugu movies).

Still one thought lingered in everyone's mind... when are movies going to become profitable?

THE answer CAME SOON. The movie Athadu released overseas and created a sensation. (Many people say this is because 2004-005 were the peak years of immigration... and thus newly arrived telugu kids needed movies to watch)... but I firmly believe it was because of Mahesh. Yes we might have our opinions about him... but his cool acting, and good looks just caught everyone by surprise. Athadu collected close to $100,000 or 50 Lakhs, and ran for more than 2 weekends... something like 4-5 weekends.

The market for telugu movies openend up INSTANTLY. LOCATIONs Began being added on. Everyone had confidence for the future.

What do you... the movie Pokiri releases. Like in India, this movie too was an absolute sensation. The overseas market to this day for telugu movies is divided into post Pokiri, and Pre Pokiri. This movie not only expanded releases there after... it did the unimaginable it ran for a long period of time... and made $210,000 aka the magic number of Rs. 1 Crore.

YES FILMS LIKE BOMMARILLU, and HAPPY DAYS were MUCH BIGGER HITS THAN POKIRI... but still POKIRI, and Athadu HAD proved mahesh's pull overseas.

Mahesh never looked back.

Sanikudu, Athidhi had great collections, and also ended up being profitable.

By this time telugu movies were being released everywhere in full swing.

Khaleja which was bought for 1.5 crores ended up collecting 1.8-2 crores. YES EVEN A DISASTER FILM WAS FULLY PROFITABLE.

*While Magadheera remains the highest grossing flm @ 5 crores... it says nothing about ram serry. orange, puli, varudu, arya 2 were not profitable. In fact Varudu went as an all time disaster next only to varun sandesh's maro charithra.

To this day no one commands the consistency of collections at the box office than Mahesh does.

WE MAY HATE HIM... BUT DO UNDERSTAND THE BABY WITH THE GOOD LOOKS ... PAVED THE WAY FOR RELEASES ABROAD. WITH EVERY MAHESH FILM's RELEASE THE MARKET AUTOMATICALLY EXPANDS. COLLECTIONS ARE ALWAYS DEFINED AND MET.

why does Mahesh, AND ONLY MAHESH, command such collections..? Will post that in my response.

sainikudu & athidhi loss ventures overseas lo....mee fans ni adugu cheptharu

OKAY sorry guys... but ee thread parepoyindi.

na emotion tho paru chesa...

I wrote an article analyzing the facts in my head.

and yet now that its being made fun of in their very own pfdb... i don't know how to feel.

sorry to anyone reading this.

just feel very sad now

OKAY sorry guys... but ee thread parepoyindi.

na emotion tho paru chesa...

I wrote an article analyzing the facts in my head.

and yet now that its being made fun of in their very own pfdb... i don't know how to feel.

sorry to anyone reading this.

just feel very sad now

Nee yavva.. enni sarlu posts vesthavu.. enni sorrys chebhuthavu.. kanisam neeku okkasari ----- anipinchadha?

Archived