All time Great Spinner"Warne" retired

andhramass

Shane Warne has admitted he would have retired sooner if not for the burning desire to reclaim the Ashes from England.

In announcing today that he would step down from international and domestic cricket, Warne made special mention of his personal domination over England, noting that he had been involved in eight Ashes series and had only once been in a losing side.

''I probably would have retired at the end of the 2005 Ashes series if we had have won and it wasn't to be,'' he told a packed press conference at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Warne said he revealed his intentions to captain and close friend Ricky Ponting after Australia recaptured the urn in Perth last week.

He said Ponting was somewhat surprised by his decision but wanted to ensure that he was retiring for the right reasons.

'A wonderful ride'

''It's about knowing the right time and I like to go out on top.

''I think I'm going out on my terms, I'd like to think I've earnt that right, to go out on my terms.

''But it's a day of celebration, celebrating a wonderful ride.''

Cricket's greatest ever wicket-taker, Warne will farewell his army of hometown Melbourne fans at the Boxing Day Test at the MCG, where he is set to break the magic 700 mark.

The 37-year-old, who has played 143 Tests, is the only current player to be included in Wisden's top-five cricketers of the 20th century.

Dressed in a suit and looking calm, composed and content, the leg-spinner said he was a "very happy man".

When asked if could think of any circumstances under which he would consider a comeback, he replied with an emphatic: "No."

Warne said he had consulted his ex-wife, Simone Callahan, about his decision.

"She's been my rock," he said. "She's been an outstanding support for me."

He fuelled speculation about whether they would reunite, saying: "Who knows what the future holds there?

"She's been my best friend for a long period of time.

"We still live together, even though we're divorced," he said, chuckling as he described their unusual living situation.

He referred to his cricketing career as a phenomenal journey.

"My life has been unbelievable to be honest.

"I don't think I could have written the script any better.''

'My time is now'

He said he was certain it was the right time for him to step down.

"A lot of people said 'You'll know when your time's up, you'll know when your time's right'.

"I sort of doubted that, I didn't really understand what they meant.

"I sit here in front of you today and I know exactly what they mean.

"My time is now and I couldn't have asked for things to go any better.''

He said it was ideal to play his second-last Test in Melbourne in front of his home crowd and family and friends.

Perfect ending

Finishing in Sydney, where his Test career began against India in January 1992, would provide the perfect end.

"It's still my proudest moment playing my first Test match, an amazing feeling,'' Warne said.

"To have an opportunity to walk off in Sydney where it all began a long time ago I think is a great opportunity and something to celebrate."

He said the job wasn't done yet, with two Tests left to go.

"We want to come out in Melbourne and win the Test match."

He admitted he would miss the sport, which was a hobby as well as a career.

"I'll miss playing cricket with Victoria. I've been playing with Victoria for 17 years. I'll miss playing club cricket with St Kilda."

He said he had yet to decide what he would do after his retirement.

"The next half of my life will be exciting. Who knows what the future holds?

"I know it'll be spending more time with my children... I'm looking forward to that side of things.

"My focus is these next two matches. I'll sit down and have a few quiet beers and a few smokes and I'll figure out what the future holds."

(bawling)(bawling)(bawling)(bawling)(bawling)(bawling)(bawling)(bawling)(bawling)

Archived