I am for united Andhra, Golden Telangana: YS Jagan

ramarao_agni

New Delhi, Dec 15 (IANS) The Telangana issue saw the rift among Congress MPs from Andhra Pradesh widen Tuesday as those supporting separate statehood sought action against party colleague Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy for “colluding” in the Lok Sabha with Telugu Desam Party (TDP) MPs opposed to dividing the state.

Jaganmohan, the son of former chief minister Y.S. Rajashekhara Reddy, justified his hobnobbing with TDP members saying he was for a “Golden Telangana”. He also said he was for a united Andhra Pradesh and did not want the opposition MPs to alone become the champions of the cause.

However, he did not clarify what he meant by a “Golden Telangana”.

“What I want is to work towards a Golden Telangana. I want everybody (in Andhra Pradesh) to be together as brothers and sisters. They are all my brothers and sisters. I do not want to lose any of my Telangana brothers and sisters,” said Jaganmohan Reddy outside parliament, adding that he wanted all people in Andhra Pradesh to be like “one family”.

Jaganmohan admitted that he had shaken hands with the TDP MPs, taken a placard from them and exhibited it to the speaker to show that “we want a united Andhra Pradesh”.

The Kadappa MP explained that he did not want the TDP members to alone become the “champions” of the United Andhra Pradesh movement that has grown in the state after the government gave its tentative nod to the formation of a separate Telangana.

“Since I was the only Congress MP supporting a united Andhra Pradesh in the house at that time, I went to them and shook their hands,” he said.

He said TDP and Praja Rajyam Party had supported Telangana at an all-party meeting held in Hyderabad.

Jaganmohan said TDP leader N. Chandrababu Naidu and PRP chief Chiranjeevi have done a U-turn on the issue - leaving the people in confusion on the matter.

He said the Congress agreed for a separate Telangana as it was left with no choice.

Jaganmohan downplayed the complaint against him by party MPs from Telangana saying they were all “like brothers” and “tomorrow we will patch up”.

Archived