Android devices vs iPhone

King of the Kings

This thread is to compare Android devices vs the iPhone on a technical basis, to help someone take decision which device to buy. This is based on my experience using both devices for more than 3+ months. This is just to help users decide for themselves. This thread is not for flaming and abusing. Lets flame in other threads lol2.gif

Note: Android has many devices, so I will be using my AT&T Samsung Captivate as baseline here.

Screen : iPhone has a 3.5 inch Retina display screen and its resolution is 960* 640. Due to its higher display and resolution, iPhone screen is the best for viewing text and browsing. Android devices use various screens, my Captivate has 4 inch Super AMOLED display with 800*480(lower than iPhone). This screen is best for watching movies and games. Its color contrast is better than iPhone's screen, but text viewing is better and sharper on iPhone.

Battery: In general, Android devices are battery guzzlers. iPhone has better battery life than Android. But, remember that any smartphone needs to be charged once every 1-1.5 days. If someone using Android or iPhone user says that their battery last 3-4 days, please safely assume he or she is bluffing.

Price: My Samsung Captivate cost me 10 $ with a new connection. But, there are Android's as expensive as iPhone. So, decide for urself.

Features : Android wins here by a huge margin. iPhone doesn't have basic features like bluetooth transfer. More features like a free GPS and text navigation, free USB tethering or Wifi hotspot features are missing. So, if your a feature maniac like me, Android is a no brainer here. You might not know all the features mentioned here like Wifi hotspot or USB tethering, so did I. You will know once you get your phone into hand biggrin.gif

Apps: iPhone platform has more apps than Android at present. But, Android is catching up. So, if you want more apps, go for iPhone. But remember that some very basic Google apps, which we need for everyday use and are way better on Android. Example, the iPhone youtube apps still doesn't play videos in HQ or HD. You tube videos still look awful on iPhone, while Android devices play HQ or HD You Tube videos. But, some less frequently used apps work better on iPhone,due to the standard platform the iPhone offers for developers. So, decide for yourself.

Browsing : Browsing is also surely better on Android, because Android supports flash, the iPhone doesn't. But, text on iPhone looks sharper and more clear. So, if Flash is not a factor, iPhone offers better browsing experience, but unfortunately, Flash matters for the masses. Also, Android seems have an edge on speed of browsing compared to iPhone. Check for Web benchmarks on the Web and decide.

UI and Experience: Apple fans say UI and experience is the best. But, its purely subjective taste. Android UI is also very good. But, you surely are locked to Apple's look n feel as long as you use the phone. You don't have a choice on the iPhone, other than changing the wallpaper and minor tweaks. But, Android is different. Your bored of the look n feel, you can change the theme in 10 mins and you can get a look n feel completely different and unrelated. So, its basically choice vs no-choice, freedom vs lockdown. Choose for urself.

Hardware: All devices these days (Android or iPhone) have similar processing and memory capabilities. The important differentiating factor here is the graphics power. There is lot of difference amongst various Android devices, in terms of graphics n processing power. So, some Android devices are way powerful in graphics crunching than iPhone, while some are not. So, you need to compare device to device.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kok garu...can we get whatsapp in captivate? coz AT&T is not allowing any 3rd party apps downloads.... :atwitsend: we can install apps from Andriod market place.

At& T Doesnt allow 3rd party Apps??

Many of the apps were done by third partys... neither apple nor At&T does apps... I have whats app on my Iphone...

ofcourse Whatsapp is designed for iPhone..

oops...What I meant was..downloading the apps from 3rd party sites.

from the articles I've read..I came to know that ATnT doesnt allow 3rd party downloads(via other websites).The only place where we can download apps on to the device is from android market place.

I recently started using android phone (x10 with OS version 1.6) and have many many queries regd apps. I am planning to return my device(donno if I can do that) and get captivate which has OS of v2.1

The other day I was browsing the market place..n I couldnt find whatsapp...may be because my device is of v1.6 and that app needs a version of 2.1 or higher..

so just wanted to check if that app appears in captivate or not...

kok garu...can we get whatsapp in captivate? coz AT&T is not allowing any 3rd party apps downloads.... :atwitsend: we can install apps from Andriod market place.

Yes AT&T vadu stock Android build meeda chala restrictions pedatadu. 2 ways.

1) Flash a new ROM to ur liking and you can get all the apps you want.

2) Root ur device. Its very easy and 2 mins process. Once you root your device, let me know what apps u need. Nenu meeku aa apps .apk files try chesta. Just push them to your /system/app directory and you should be good to go.

from the articles I've read..I came to know that ATnT doesnt allow 3rd party downloads(via other websites).The only place where we can download apps on to the device is from android market place.

I recently started using android phone (x10 with OS version 1.6) and have many many queries regd apps. I am planning to return my device(donno if I can do that) and get captivate which has OS of v2.1

The other day I was browsing the market place..n I couldnt find whatsapp...may be because my device is of v1.6 and that app needs a version of 2.1 or higher..

Captivate meeda 1.6 ichada ? 1.6 ante do you mean Android version ?

Rakesh cheppinattu AT&T vadu stock Android build meeda chala restrictions pedatadu. 2 ways.

1) Flash a new ROM to ur liking and you can get all the apps you want.

2) Root ur device. Its very easy and 2 mins process. Once you root your device, let me know what apps u need. Nenu meeku aa apps .apk files try chesta. Just push them to your /system/app directory and you should be good to go.

naku ela cheyalo teliyadu idantha :hypnotized: :hypnotized:

also, whatsapp 1.6 tho compatible kadu...need to upgrade my device to 2.1 ..and adi possible kadu..coz AT nT vadu Sony ericsson vadi terms prakaram..no OS upgrade is available for this carrier for this device..and now I started hating my new phone :(..its of 15 days old

I wanted to return it desperately and get advanced version one...and everyone suggested me captivate

Whatsapp ante messenger aa ? I never knew till now. Ippude naa captivate market lo chusa, undi. Get a captivate and you should have it. Xperia mari chetta phone ani vinna

naku ela cheyalo teliyadu idantha :hypnotized: :hypnotized:

also, whatsapp 1.6 tho compatible kadu...need to upgrade my device to 2.1 ..and adi possible kadu..coz AT nT vadu Sony ericsson vadi terms prakaram..no OS upgrade is available for this carrier for this device..and now I started hating my new phone :(..its of 15 days old

I wanted to return it desperately and get advanced version one...and everyone suggested me captivate

Android lo Captivate is the premium device. Captivate techukondi mundu. Taravata rooting n flashing is very easy. Nothing technical, step by step youtube videos untay. Aratifandu volchinattu ela cheyyalo chupistadu. Oosari flashing modalu pedite 1 week ki oka ROM, 3 days ki oka theme flash chestu untaru janam lol2.gif

Whatsapp ante messenger aa ? I never knew till now. Ippude naa captivate market lo chusa, undi. Get a captivate and you should have it. Xperia mari chetta phone ani vinna

Yea..messenger

Wow...unda... :terrific: I was looking for it in the market place on x10 and couldn't find it.

nadi 1.6 avatam valana kanipinchaledemo :straightface:

x10 mari chettha phone em kadu :straightface:

captivate tiskunte I'll be losing 8.1 MP cam thing in x10..:P

Yes avi Android version ee. Captivate techukondi 2.2.1 ki upgrade ayyipovachu happy gaa. Xperia and 1.6 ante adi bronze age phone

I ordered my device thru wirefly..

vadini emanna convince cheyalsi vastadi antara..leka return policy untada..any idea?

endukante direct AT n T vadiki 30 days return policy untadi..

wirefly vadiki adigi chudali ivala aithe..

Tnx for the info!

Yea..messenger

Wow...unda... :terrific: I was looking for it in the market place on x10 and couldn't find it.

nadi 1.6 avatam valana kanipinchaledemo :straightface:

x10 mari chettha phone em kadu :straightface:

captivate tiskunte I'll be losing 8.1 MP cam thing in x10..:P

Captivate lo 5 MP cam ayina kuda its decent and can record HD video. Its not bad by any means. Assale 1.6 antene sagam features unday Xperia lo. Couple of my friends got Xperia, returned it being vexed with 1.6 and got a Captivate shakehands.gif

Android lo Captivate is the premium device. Captivate techukondi mundu. Taravata rooting n flashing is very easy. Nothing technical, step by step youtube videos untay. Aratifandu volchinattu ela cheyyalo chupistadu. Oosari flashing modalu pedite 1 week ki oka ROM, 3 days ki oka theme flash chestu untaru janam lol2.gif

haha! okay....:)

I ordered my device thru wirefly..

vadini emanna convince cheyalsi vastadi antara..leka return policy untada..any idea?

endukante direct AT n T vadiki 30 days return policy untadi..

wirefly vadiki adigi chudali ivala aithe..

Tnx for the info!

http://www.wirefly.com/about/returns/

Nenu Captivate teskundi Wirefly lone kani return cheyyalsina avasaram raleedu. Wirefly vadu 14 days return antunnadu ga chudandi aa pai link lo. Call him up and speak immediately. Meru Xperia return chesi , vadu Captivate pampinchetappatiki time padukuntundi anukunta

http://www.wirefly.com/about/returns/

Nenu Captivate teskundi Wirefly lone kani return cheyyalsina avasaram raleedu. Wirefly vadu 14 days return antunnadu ga chudandi aa pai link lo. Call him up and speak immediately. Meru Xperia return chesi , vadu Captivate pampinchetappatiki time padukuntundi anukunta

I spoke to those guys just now..

they said I can return my phone and get captivate....BUT..I need to change my rateplan..

ARRRGHHHH..That costs me 10 bucks more per month.... :bitenails:

ento emo....minutes eppudanna avasaram avthayi elagu family plan kabatti..but..konchem alohcinhali deeni mida...captivate kosam rate plan change anedi.. :straightface::hypnotized:

Built in ayina otti Wifi meeda eena, over the network kuda unda? Free app unnantavaraku, app ayite endi, built in ayite endi bemmi.confused.gif

wifi enti ..at&t vadi network medha kuda use cheyyyochu... face time calling aa clarity apple vadidhe chudandi uncle... face time calling ki apple lo hard ware sync with software support undhe.... it gives more clarity and feel..

I spoke to those guys just now..

they said I can return my phone and get captivate....BUT..I need to change my rateplan..

ARRRGHHHH..That costs me 10 bucks more per month.... :bitenails:

ento emo....minutes eppudanna avasaram avthayi elagu family plan kabatti..but..konchem alohcinhali deeni mida...captivate kosam rate plan change anedi.. :straightface::hypnotized:

Ante base plan change cheyyala ? I got captivate for 39.99 $ 450 mins plan + 20 $ 2 GB data. Mee current Xperia flan endi ?

Archived