Sikh Man Was Shot - Washington

gutta_NTR

A gurdwara, a Sikh place of worship, in Kent, WA.

A gunman fired at a Sikh person in Washington state on Friday, allegedly telling him “Go back to your own country,” prompting local authorities to reach out to federal agents as they continue to search for a suspect.

On Friday around 8 p.m. local time, a 39-year-old Sikh man was doing work on his car on his driveway in Kent, Washington, when a man he described as white and stocky approached him, according to the Seattle Times.

The victim reportedly told police that the two men became involved in an altercation, during which his attacker made comments, including “Go back to your own country.”

Speaking at a press conference, a Kent police spokesperson announced that the man who was shot did not suffer life-threatening injuries.

“I can tell you right now we’re early on in our investigation. The shot resulted in non-life-threatening injuries. However, we are treating this as a very serious incident,” the spokesperson said.

Kent police have reached out to the FBI and other local agencies to assist in the investigation, the Seattle Times reported.

Jasmit Singh, a leader in the Seattle area Sikh community, told BuzzFeed News incidents of hate targeting members of the Sikh community have been on the rise in the last couple of months.

From rude comments to increasingly violent encounters, Singh said members of the Sikh community have been facing an increasing number of often violent encounters.

“We’ve had our share of hate incidents in the past, but definitely the last two months there have been a distinct escalation of these cases,” he said. “We are living in a very different climate.”

Other minorities have also experienced similar incidents, he said, but Sikhs have often been targeted and singled out because of their turbans and long beards. However, he said he has been heartened by the proactive response of local leaders who have reached out to Sikh community leaders since Friday’s shooting, including the governor’s office.

“This is no longer the case of us sitting back and letting things happen,” said Singh. “I feel there is an urgency inside my heart and in other individuals that we need to deal with this head on.”

The Sikh Coalition, a Sikh civil rights group based in New York, released a statement Saturday saying they appreciated the law enforcement response, but that attacks such as Friday’s shooting needed to be addressed on a national level.

“While we appreciate the efforts of state and local officials to respond to attacks like this, we need our national leaders to make hate crime prevention a top priority,” Rajdeep Singh, interim managing director of programs for the Sikh Coalition told BuzzFeed News. “Tone matters in our political discourse because this is a matter of life or death for millions of Americans who are worried about losing loved ones to hate.”

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ivanni ee country lo ayina vuntayi. mana india lo kottuku chavatam leda....america lo jarigite matram mana media pedda news chestundi.....india lo jarigite roju jarigevega ani lite tisukuntaru...

Wait chesthunna Bro evaru vastara ee vithamda vadamtho ani..india lo road accidents lo 1,50,000 mandi easy ga chachipothunnaru ..mari Terrosist activities lo oka year lo enta mandi chanipothunnaru? ina endukani terrrorist activity mida and pakistan mida inta raddam cheyyatam? ... Chala rakalu ga chanipotaru janalu .. chanipoye reason important mari inta comedy ga matladamakandi

ivanni ee country lo ayina vuntayi. mana india lo kottuku chavatam leda....america lo jarigite matram mana media pedda news chestundi.....india lo jarigite roju jarigevega ani lite tisukuntaru...

I'm glad someone put a perspective on this ... thank you.

Wait chesthunna Bro evaru vastara ee vithamda vadamtho ani..india lo road accidents lo 1,50,000 mandi easy ga chachipothunnaru ..mari Terrosist activities lo oka year lo enta mandi chanipothunnaru? ina endukani terrrorist activity mida and pakistan mida inta raddam cheyyatam? ... Chala rakalu ga chanipotaru janalu .. chanipoye reason important mari inta comedy ga matladamakandi

reason is important, yes. 

Never seen random killings before? Two Indians get killed and we are gung ho ... worst, have you seen Columbine highschool massacre or South Carolina Church killings? Its just the way this society is ... live it or  leave.

If you live in this society ... how is that not your problem ... I don't see any of you talking about it.

If you want to stay and fight ...  then fight.

India lo kottuku sachedhi vere issues midha which is bad too , BUT India has a huge population and crime is bound to happen in many ways

America lo 0.00001% untamu manam(Indians) but still rojukoka news osthundhi ante situation entha bad ga undho think cheyandi

intha chinna percentage unna we are being targeted ante just look at how deep this hate has gone on brown skin . Future looks very bad to me (have been living here from past 9 years now)

India lo kottuku sachedhi vere issues midha which is bad too , BUT India has a huge population and crime is bound to happen in many ways

America lo 0.00001% untamu manam(Indians) but still rojukoka news osthundhi ante situation entha bad ga undho think cheyandi

intha chinna percentage unna we are being targeted ante just look at how deep this hate has gone on brown skin . Future looks very bad to me (have been living here from past 9 years now)

0.00001%.... lol

0.00001%.... lol

you come out with numbers bro .... Correct me if I am wrong... I might have exaggerated but my point is to convey that we are very very low in numbers compared to the entire population in USA and still we are being targeted

Desi population unna cities lo unte American antha manollee anattuu untadi in case your thinking in these lines which is totally wrong

Chivariki meeru kodana brother.... oka health insurance problem gurinchi hundreds of posts vesina meerena ila anedi?

hundreds of posts is probably an exaggeration ... but, you understood my pain brother.

I realized that a Republican politician will never let a common man live a decent life in this country. They'll do everything they can to strip your dignity ... its a doog  eat doog world. May be that's how its supposed to be ... I wouldn't know.

I myself am finding no place in this society ... sad, but true. I'm embarking on new adventures.

But, as long as I live here ... I'm going to respect this society. It has been part of me for all my life.

Thanks for your post brother.

Mana Indians entha % vuntundi bro US lo

And India lo India vodu India vodni kodithe pedda news kaadu but India vaadu Nepal vaadni champithe pedda news ne bcoz nepalis minority here Same like we are minoritirs in US.

10 days lo 3 cases jarigithe adi breaking news ne

Atleast vallu chepthe koncham idea vasthundi

And jagratta padatharu bayatatiragakunda

Ikkada parents kangaru padatharu papàm adi BAD but koncham careful ga vunte better

hundreds of posts is probably an exaggeration ... but, you understood my pain brother.

I realized that a Republican politician will never let a common man live a decent life in this country. They'll do everything they can to strip your dignity ... its a doog eat doog world.

I myself am finding no place in this society ... sad, but true. I'm embarking on new adventures.

Thanks for your post brother.

Why are you not finding any place in this society and what does a Republican have to do with this? Can you explain?

picha li8 Rojuki entho mandhi champukuntu vuntaru. Be it in India or abroad.

Evaru concern chupinchakandi.. Champesaru.. chanipoyaru.. Thats it, Antha common ayipoyindhi. US lo champukuntunte endhuku antha react avutunnaru ?? Road Accident jarigina.. Adhedho vintha ayinattu mana janalu, media tega matladesthuntaru.

chanipoyindhi mana Pakkanodo, Friend oo, Family oo ayithene React avutaamu. anthegani Prapancham lo evaru ekkada endhuku chanipoyado prati dhanini pattinchukovadam maneyandi

you come out with numbers bro .... Correct me if I am wrong... I might have exaggerated but my point is to convey that we are very very low in numbers compared to the entire population in USA and still we are being targeted

Desi population unna cities lo unte American antha manollee anattuu untadi in case your thinking in these lines which is totally wrong

Hmm.... you carry on with your world bro....

@minion bro,

I hope you are in US for a considerable period of time.... I have a question.... US lo Chinese population is more in number compared tin indians.... why don't we hear attacks on them??

Are Chinese never targeted?

Or as we can't understand Chinese, and are we we musing those items in Chinese news?

@minion bro,

I hope you are in US for a considerable period of time.... I have a question.... US lo Chinese population is more in number compared tin indians.... why don't we hear attacks on them??

Are Chinese never targeted?

Or as we can't understand Chinese, and are we we musing those items in Chinese news?

very valid question maestro brother.....you will have to talk to an American if you have to have the right perspective on this.....Few years ago we had a seminar in our university on the topic "China and India - in the eyes of America", perhaps some of the highlights from this seminar should address your question well..

How does an average american view a chinese and an Indian? Chinese with their brand of Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies are seen as natural fighters. Sun Tzu and his treatise Art of war is seen as a classic among war manuals....most american corporate world tries to emulate Sun Tzu's instructions in the world of business too....Chinese Shaolin martial traditions are well respected in almost all the fighting clubs within United States....Coming to India, India is seen as a Land of Mahatma Gandhi, apostle of Non-violence...Most american children never watch any Bollywood movies, even if they watch accidently, they only watch movies like Slum xxx millionaire because they are the only such movies glorified,awarded and rewarded here.......Imagine how all the scenarios create a perspective on an average american...Who you are is important, but what is more important is how you are branded. Branding has consequences and I need not explain it in any more words...

China is seen as a threat while India even inspite of its many achievements in the economic, defence scientific fields is never seen as such....Chinese are seen as hard nuts while Indians are seen as soft targets,vulnerable and liable to be poached easily......this is the perception of an average american...I hope this answers your query ...

By the way, do you carry atleast a pocket knife, a baton or any mini self-defense equipment with you or does your wife carry atleast a pepper spray with her...most average americans, chinese carry them...perhaps its high time we Indians carry them too...

why us guys are so desperate to super killers and trump....any reason behind...or just worried to make honest comments ...considering any background checks in social sites by usa authorities

Allu Ramalingiah logics tho malla vachchindhi baby...DVWnc6Y.gif?noredirect

Archived