ANNA GAARIKI ANKITHAM

Simham

NTR SILVER SCREEN GOD

The other godly role he is famous for is that of Rama, the hero of Ramayana, the Hindu epic. Interestingly enough, it was Ravana, the villain in the Ramayana, whose character Rama Rao portrayed before that of Rama. It was in Bhookailas, a Telugu film, in which he featured as Ravana. Sampoorna Ramayanam, first made in Tamil and dubbed later into Telugu, was the first film in which he played Rama?s role. Both the films were released in 1958.

But the film that brought him instant fame for playing a godly role was Sri Venkateswara Mahatmyam, the story of the Lord of the Seven Hills at Tirumala-Tirupati. Directed by P. Pullaiah, a veteran, the black and white film cost Rs 11 lakh to make and was released in 1960. It celebrated silver jubilee, 100-day runs and grossed over Rs one crore on barely 20 prints ? a record for that time.

The film tells the story of Lord Venkateswara, an incarnation of Vishnu, and there is a scene in which Rama Rao emerges from the idol of the Lord and walks towards the camera ? the audience. This particular scene created a sensation at that time and made a deep impression on the viewers, most of them humble and unlettered. The identification between man and god was complete.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NTR SILVER SCREEN GOD

The first godly role that Rama Rao played was in his 30th film, Maya Bazaar. Produced by Vijaya Productions and directed by the famous KV Reddy, it was based on an episode in the Mahabharata, the Hindu epic. Rama Rao played Krishna?s role. Hitherto, Rama Rao never played a godly role and there was considerable opposition from his colleagues? hot favourite was a man called Raghuramiah, who excelled in playing this particular role on the stage.

But Reddy?s calculated gamble paid dividends; the film was a huge success: 100-day runs in 24 theatres and silver jubilee in four. Of the 30 films in which he acted upto Maya Bazaar, as many as 20 had celebrated 100-day runs in 169 theatres, nine films ran for 25 weeks each in 30 halls and one for 50 weeks in one theatre.

It is a fallacy, therefore, to say that it was only in films in which he played godly roles that Rama Rao was primarily successful.

He never looked back since.

NTR Life Of Silver Screen

Malleswari and Pelli Chesi Choodu, two of the other three Vijaya Productions, followed soon. They too did well at the box office. Rama Rao now began to receive film offers on a regular basis. By the end of 1953, he had already starred in 14 films and felt encouraged to launch the National Art Theatre to Produce films along with his brother Trivikrama Rao.

The first film they produced was Todu Dongalu, in which he played the hero. A social film, meaning Fellow Thieves, it sought to expose the state of affairs in society. Film critics raved about it; the film became the first Telugu movie to receive a certificate of merit from the President of India in 1954. It was the only Telugu film screened at a film festival in China that year. But, at the box office it was flop.

Trivikrama Rao first came to Madras in 1949 just to see how his brother was doing in films. Strangely enough, his arrival in Madras coincided with Rama Rao fighting with the Australian bull during the shooting of palleturi Pilla and the fracturing of his wrist. Both the brothers, fond of each other, rarely stayed away from one another. Trivikrama Rao now stayed behind in Madras to look after his brother while he recovered from the injury; he stayed back in the city to assist his brother.

For Rama Rao?s younger brother, the failure of Todu Dongalu at the box office came as a rude shock. Even though the critical acclaim the film won pleased both the brother, it put Trivikrama Rao in the red by a couple of lakhs of rupees. There was serious talk that he should give up film production and go back to the village to take up farming. But Rama Rao encouraged him not to lose heart and give it up so easily but to try once again.

The result was the making of Jaya Simha, a folklore drama, the next year, 1955. The film was a hit. It celebrated 100-day runs a dozen cinema halls and silver jubilee in one. Trivikrama Rao stayed on in Madras for good to produce many more films in collaboration with his brother.

The first of the four films to be made was Patala Bhairavi, a folklore drama involving a wily magician, a beautiful princess and a poor but brave young man. Rama Rao played the young man. Rama Rao played the young man. The wicked magician has evil designs on the princess. But the young man takes him on, destroys the magician and wins the princess?s heart. In the great KV Reddy?s hands, this simple tale acquired a peculiar dimension. The role of the magician, played by the legendary S V Ranga Rao who passed away recently, provided scope for trick photography and imaginative setting like mysterious caves and a massive fortress.

The film, released in 1951, was a runaway success: It celebrated 100-day runs in 34 cinema halls, silver jubilee (25 weeks) in 13 theatres and golden jubilee (50 weeks) in one. It broke all the previous box office records in the Telugu film industry. The film was soon made into a Tamil version by Vijaya?s and a Hindi version by Gemini?s ? both with Rama Rao as hero. They too turned out to be hits.

The film established Rama Rao as a mass hero and Vijaya?s s producers of entertaining films. Incidentally, it was Patala Bhairavi?s enormous success that encouraged Nagi Reddy and Chakrapani to undertake a massive reconstruction of the most sophisticated cinematic equipment.

Patala Bhairavi was the turning point in Rama Rao?s career as weel. Says he, "With that film I became a top hero." Concedes Akkineni Nageswara Rao, his long-time professional rival and personal friend: "Patala Bhairavi made him known to the comman man" ? a major factor in the making of super hero.

Rama Rao was now confident that he was going to make it. Armed with the Vijaya contract, he now brought his wife and son to Madras from Vijayawada.

Word soon reached HM Reddy that Vijaya?s had signed up Rama Rao. One day he met him and said, "But what about my film? I have already signed up two heroines for it and I want you as hero in my film."

"But, "said Rama Rao, "You kept me waiting for more than a year without offering me a single role. How an I do anything now? I have already signed the contract."

Reddy then offered to pay twice the amount Vijaya?s would pay him. "Sorry but I don?t do things like this. A promise is a promise and there is no going back on it," Rama Rao told the great man.

Impressed by the young man?s straight forwardness, Reddy smiled and hugged Rama Rao and said, "You are a gentleman. This is the first time that I am meeting a person like you. Keep it up, son. You will go far in life."

The film?s moderate success pleased its producers who now planned something big. They wanted to get the four top Telugu directors to make one film each. KV Reddy was to direct Patala Bhairavi; BN Reddy, Malleswari; Prasad, Pelli Chesi Choodu; and M. Kameswara Rao, chandra Haram. The idea was that each director would finish making one film in six months.

They asked Rama Rao if he would sign an exclusive contract to work in their films. Rama Rao said he would sign on the dotted line provided they made him the hero in all the four films. He argued with Nagi Reddy thus: "If I am not successful in the hands of such eminent directors, then there won?t be any chance of my succeeding in this line. Give me a chance and I will do my best. If I don?t click in these films. I will give up my film career and go back to my village."

Prasad had already directed Rama Rao in two films and all the five films in which he had acted had done well at the box office. Nagi Reddy and chakrapani thought it was a risk worth taking and agreed to give him the hero?s role in all the four films. They signed him up for a two-years exclusive contract.

They paid him Rs 500 per month and Rs 5,000 per film in the first year during which two films were completed, and Rs 750 per month and Rs 7,500 per film in the second year to make the remaining two films.

It was also around this time that HM Reddy said he would give Rama Rao a hero?s role in his next film. A veteran who made well-acclaimed films like Gruhalakshmi, Tenali Ramakrishna and later Satyame Jayam, Reddy was a big name in the 1940s. Getting a break in a film of his could make all the difference to the career of anyone who hoped to make it on the screen.

Reddy would ask Rama Rao to present himself at his office or home at all sorts of odd hours, as if to check if the young man had the patience. "Come at 7.30 tomorrow morning, " he would say. Eager to please, Rama Rao would show up on the dot. Reddy would nod his head patronizingly and say, "Oh you have come. It?s just that I am tied up at the moment. What about four o?clock the day after tomorrow afternoon?"

"Most certainly, sir," Rama Rao would way and walk back to his room. After scores of trips, Reddy would say, "Well, I?ve got this hero?s role for you. You will wear a fur cap and have a huge alsatian with you. Now let?s see how you will deliver these dialogues?Good, very good. Now, how about coming to my place sharp at 10 in the morning on Friday?"

This futile exercise went on for one whole year. Rama Rao took it all stoically, never losing heart or optimism.

Then came the hero?s role in Samsaram. When released in 1950, the film was a success: it ran for 100 days in 11 theatres and for 25 weeks in one. But shavukaru, the fifth film that he did, was released earlier than the fourth, Samsaram, and that turned the tables in Rama Rao?s favour.

Directed by Prasad, it starred him with Janaki ? who later made a name for herself as a singing star ? and was produced by Vijaya Productions. B. Nagi Reddy and Chakrapani started the company by taking the Vauhini Studios on lease. The film had a 100-day run in one theatre when released first in 1950, but it did good business and Janaki, whose first film it was, came to be known as Shavukaru Janaki, whose first film it was, came to be known as Shavukaru Janaki. Even today she is known by this name.

The third film role came his way in maya Rambha, a folklore drama, a little later. But three roles could not guarantee him two square meals a day. He hired a small room in the Thousand Lights area. Sharing the rook with him were his brother was doing at the time of the making of Palleture Pilla and decided to stay on, and a few other young men who were trying their luck in films. Yoganand and Tatineni Prakash Rao, who later became wellknown directors, were among them.

Because he could not afford the bus fare, Rama Rao used to walk long distances to meet prospective directores in search of roles. A proud man, he never liked to borrow, even from his best friends.

A meal in a restaurant used to cost eight annas ? half a rupee ? in those days. It was round this time that he had to go without a meal for three consecutive days because he did not have eight annas. "Just for the sake of eight annas!" recalls Rama Rao. But there is no bitterness or anger in his voice. Only a broad smile and a certain pride that he could take it without a grudge.

His room-mates were deeply upset when they heard about the incident. Yoganand was hurt. "Could you not have mentioned it to me?" he said. Rama Rao politely brushed aside the complaint. "I need to experience things in life so that I can train myself to face any eventuality with courage." Nobody could argue with him on that score.

Yoganand had been a good friend since those days. He directed several films Rama Rao and Trivikrama Rao produced under the National Art Theatre banner, including Todu Dongalu (which won a national award), Jaya Simha and Ummadi Kutumbam (which were box office hits of their time).

NTR Journey To Madras

But Subba Rao had no intention of changing his mind. He smiled and said, "Sir, you are giving me advice like my elder brother. I appreciate your concern and anxiety. With due respect to you, I have already made up my mind about my hero. I would like to sign a contract with him and only then send him back. If things don

The first public meeting

The first public meeting was held on the 11th of April 1982 in Nizam College Grounds. Sri NTR started in the open Jeep from Rama Krishna Studio. There was tremendous ovation from the people all the way up to the meeting place. People came from all corners of Andhra Pradesh to attend the meeting. Sri NTR said, " You are all behind me ! There is no question of going back". Sri NTR delivered an emotional speech and people began to think about the realities of life. The people were greatly impressed by the oratory of Sri NTR. The leaders who attended the meeting felt that the Congress party would face a tug of war in the ensuing elections.

Lord Venkateswara of Tirupathi is considered by all the people as the deity of the Kaliyuga. Many people start something new after having the Darshan of Lord Venkateswara. Sri N.T.R. who follows the spiritual path of life has decided to hold the second meeting. Every Year the birthday of Sri N.T. Rama Rao is celebrated by his friends and fans in great pomp and show. The 60th birthday of Sri N.T.R. has great significance because he is entering the field of politics

The first public meeting

It was a mammoth gathering. Sri N.T.R. has many fans in the RoyalaSeema area. The fans of N.T.R. came to the Tirupathi meeting to see him and to hear his message. Every one who attended the meeting was enamoured of N.T.R. The success of the second meeting heralded a new era in the political history of Andhra Pradesh. In the beginning some political leaders thought that because of cinema glamour people were coming to the public meetings of Sri N.T.R. But gradually they realized that N.T.R. made a mark on the political map of Andhra Pradesh

Chaitanya Radham

Usually political leaders go in cars or helicopters to address the people. But N.T.R. has made a new experiment. He got repaired a Chevrolet van which was like a moving platform. Wherever people gathered, N.T.R. used to go to the top of the van and address the people to make them know about the misrule of Congress. People slowly developed faith in the ideology of the Telugu Desam. The Chevrolet van was named as Chaitanya Radham.

The caption on the Chaitanya Radham is "Telugu Desam is calling you! Come on!. People young and old, women and children ran after he Chaitanya Radham and they were very keen to listen to the speeches of Sri N.T.R. The whirlwind trip continued. Sri N.T.R. didn't stay in hotels and lodges. He moved in the van; delivered speeches from the top of the van; ate in the van; slept in the van and took his bath near the roadside water point. It was a new way of canvassing.

N.T.R's speeches and appreciation of the people

N.T.R. was good at delivering long dialogues with clear pronunciation. This art helped him to attract the people and endear them to his heart. There was sweetness in his words and clarity in delivering the dialogues. People never heard such refined words from a political leader. It was a new experience to them. The people greatly felt happy and they were greatly excited when they heard the oratory of Sri N.T.R. Through the canvassing speeches N.T.R. gave a new meaning to politics. People gasped and clapped when N.T.R. delivered beautiful and musical speeches. The speeches and dialogues of N.T.R. were released in the form of cassettes.

N.T.R. public meeting at tirupathi

The last election meeting of the Telugu Desam was held at Tirupathi. Before the arrival of N.T.R. people anxiously waited for him. All the streets were full with the people who came in large numbers to attend the meeting of Sri N.T. Rama Rao. Everywhere there were yellow flags and people wearing yellow shirts. There was festive mood everywhere. When N.T.R. entered the town people showered flowers on him.

LEGEND NTR Interview On March 31st 1982 After Establishing TeluguDesam Party Last Part..

Q. During the year 1978 Elections,many of the individuals who have won in the Elections on the Opposition Party Tickets have established themselves in the Ruling Party. The personnel who would win in the Elections on your Party Ticket, and in case you do not come to power, again there is every possibility for them to change the Party. What is your opinion on this.

A. There will be some persons who would change their Party as per the situation and trend. There are certain individuals of such nature. Normal and average personnel may have some drawback in them and they act accordingly since it is human nature. That is the reason how and why we would take precautionary measures well in advance, and we should provide the opportunity only to the truthful personalities as I say.

Q. Is M.G.R. root-cause for you to enter into the Politics.

A. Yes. As a State Leader, how much he is putting forth his efforts for the improvement and development of the State, is known to one and all.

LEGEND NTR Interview On March 31st 1982 After Establishing TeluguDesam Party Last Part..

Q. On the occasion of the Telugu Desam coming to the power, what advises do you give to the Telugu people.

A. We would liberalise the Telugu Desam from the evil powers of Drutharashtra from the cruel embarassment, duly eradicating corruption, by stopping the illegal Ruling, we would prove that the Telugu people have got their own self respect, we have started this greatest task for the purpose to make the Telugu brightness to shine everywhere. In this game of love and affection, I am nothing. This task is of all the Telugu personnel, there is no scope for the Castes, Religions, and to the Local Languages, and all the people should have peaceful atmosphere with riches and they should remain ever-green, and with an aim that in all the fields the Telugu Desam should get advanced, and this is the root-cause and base for the establishment of Telugu Desam. Industrial Workers, Farmers, Genious personalities, Youngsters, Ladies, not only one, but also obediently I request the people of all walks of life, I request all the individuals irrespective of their occupation to participate in this Telugu Desam great task.

Archived