Farmers situation in our country

What do you think will be the solution for labor scarcity in our country?

--> India lo agriculture rapid mechanization avvali...Like govt should encourage farmers to buy or rent tractors,combines etc...companies like Mahindra,John Deere,AgCo should be encouraged to come up with cheap and best equipment that suites Indian soil.

I spoke to a farmer here in US : he and his brothers do all the labor needed on their 1500 acre farm in the state of Wisconsin.They use latest technology in everything...They insert probes which measures the moisture levels and winds and sends SMS to their Cell phones. so govt should encourage/help farmers to move to the latest technology.

I agree with your idea. But most of our farmers are illiterate to use technology (even though they can use green and red button on cell phones), and poor to invest on buying the machinery. Government should help farmers to buy the machinery at subsidized prices as well should take lead in developing cost effective machinery.

One last point before I jump off from this thread.

What should be TDP's stand towards National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA)?

This is a very delicate issue. On the face of it, it looks innocent enough.

Some folks like JP from LokSatta have opined that NREGA should be clubbed with the Goverments agricultural policy, and ensure that farmers are helped to some extent.

This feels very good to the heart, if you are a Raithu bidda or a sympathizer of the farming community. But if you are a political party like the TDP, this will be your

ticket to hell. If you take this position, you will instantly become un-electable.

There is a simmering discontent among farm labour, that the big farmers are trying to hijack a scheme that YSR started for them and them alone. You wont read

about it in newspapers or hear this form the talking heads on TV. This section of people, suffers silently. They dont come out on the roads shouting slogans.

But when it comes to show their might, they will vote you out into oblivion.

So this issue has to be navigated very carefully. Dont club the farmers and farm laborers together. Dont take away from one to help the other. This is already leading to a class warfare. Dont add to the confusion, steer clear from this issue.

Keep NREGA off the table while speaking about the problems being faced by the farmers.

As you raised NREGA scheme, I would tell it should be limited to certain months which will not interfere with the time where crops require maximum attention...this shouldn't be done as a policy or something but like an undercurrent advice without formal documentation to escape political backlash...just say we don't have any work for peak months.....

8. Education at the school level: I chose agriculture as I don't have an option when I went for EAMCET counselling (my friend got Medicine with 8000 rank and I got agriculture with 2000 rank, as I am the so called OC). My father is a farmer and I was directly involved in agriculture from my childhood, but my father never encouraged me to take up agriculture as a living. That is fine as they see life in a different way. But, my point is regarding the education system. At each level of education we were exposed to get excited to choose a profession in future life. When I studied physics, I wanted to become scientist, when I studied chemistry I wanted to become chemical engineer, when I studied maths I wanted to become computer engineer, when I studied botany and zoology I wanted to become a doctor. But I never studied some thing that inspired me to become an agricultural graduate. As a result of that most of the agricultural graduates do not live with their degree and chose other professions after graduation. Hence, I emphasize that there should be some content in academics at school level that inspires the students to become agricultural scientists rather than as an option.

The beauty of farming lies in seeing the seed grow into a plant (of our size in the case of paddy)....that is what most of the people in farming feel happy about...the way they talk about crops is like they are born out of them...nothing can inspire children to take up agriculture unless they see the beauty of plant rising from soil...that is the only education which will inspire it apart from the deeper agricultural study...people now don't have time to do a bit of gardening forget about farming....

What do you think will be the solution for labor scarcity in our country?

--> India lo agriculture rapid mechanization avvali...Like govt should encourage farmers to buy or rent tractors,combines etc...companies like Mahindra,John Deere,AgCo should be encouraged to come up with cheap and best equipment that suites Indian soil.

I spoke to a farmer here in US : he and his brothers do all the labor needed on their 1500 acre farm in the state of Wisconsin.They use latest technology in everything...They insert probes which measures the moisture levels and winds and sends SMS to their Cell phones. so govt should encourage/help farmers to move to the latest technology.

monna ee topic nundi, I went exploring some available machines and dealers...the machines were much costlier than Benz cars...so unless a person has atleast 100 acres there is no use of buying and using them.....100 acres is a rarity under single farmer so that's why the machines are not used...however we can come up some indegenous and custom machines which will be cheaper...but no one is interested in making those machines because they dont yield much profits...instead they will make cars and SUVs which people will be buy without thought....

Archived