Going extra distance to not compromise values: Share your experiences

Kumbk

We all believe in something. Sometimes a situation arises where we may have to compromise your beliefs. If we don't, we face inconvenience or trouble. Did you ever went through the trouble instead of compromising your beliefs? Please share.

I'll share one story. After getting married, my wife & I planned a trip to Shirdi. My in-law booked the train tickets through a travel agent and gave me a half sheet of paper with the ticket printed. For online train tickets, in the bottom half, there used to be fine-print stating one needs to carry ID for tickets bought online. Since the bottom half was missing, I didn't know that rule and so didn't carry any ID on me. The TT somewhere near Khammam checked our ticket, said its not valid since I was not carrying ID. I had to pay the ticket at full price again or get down at next station. I asked him do the ticketing agents at  counters check IDs when issuing tickets? If they don't why should the rules be different for online tickets? He said it didn't matter.

I was not willing to pay full ticket price again, because its not my mistake and the mistake itself was a small and an honest one. I was not interested in bribing the TT either. So I phone my in-law right in front of TT and said I was cancelling the travel and coming back. And then I told TT that we were getting down at the next station. Now the TT got into panic because he was effectively stopping two people from visiting a temple. So he and my uncle convinced me to pay a nominal fine and I relented.

My threat of willing to go extra mile to prove my point or actually doing that had similar effect couple of other times. Interested to know if others had similar experiences.

I wish I am as straught forward as the thread starter.However I had to compromise on values N number of times during my job trials. Faked my experience, lied on what I know and what I don't during interviews. Compromised again during job change and may have to compromise in future also.

In all of this I made sure there is no inconvenience to another person or organisation. It is purely to meet my ends.I may not be ready to compromise on my values if it impacts another person directly or indirectly. Time should tell

Archived