Religious freedom in India under attack in Modi era, says US govt body

The United States Commission on International Religious Freedom says Modi govt is 'encouraging' mob violence against minorities.

NAYANIMA BASU Updated: 2 May, 2019 12:06 pm IST
modi-696x392.jpg Prime Minister Narendra Modi | ThePrint
Text Size: A- A+

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    Shares

New Delhi: Religious freedom is under attack in India, with the Narendra Modi government “allowing and encouraging” mob violence against minorities, a US government agency engaged in the field has said in its annual report.

The United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) has listed India among ‘tier-2’ nations — defined as “countries of particular concern or CPC” that “engage in or tolerate” violation of religious freedom.

Others on the list include Afghanistan, Iraq, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Cuba, Egypt, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Laos, Malaysia, and Turkey.

“Prime Minister Narendra Modi seldom made statements decrying mob violence, and certain members of his political party have affiliations with Hindu extremist groups and used inflammatory language about religious minorities publicly,” the report for 2019 says.

While the victims never got justice for the treatment they received, it adds, new crimes committed against the minorities were not prosecuted.

According to the report, the history of religious freedom in India has come under severe attack in recent years with the “growth of exclusionary extremist narratives — including, at times, the government’s allowance and encouragement of mob violence against religious minorities — that have facilitated an egregious and ongoing campaign of violence, intimidation, and harassment against non-Hindu and lower-caste Hindu minorities”.

The report, however, seeks to emphasise that religious freedom in India varies from state to state. While some states continue to remain open and free for religious minorities, others encourage “systematic, ongoing, egregious” violations of religious freedom, it adds.

The USCIRF had made a similar observation about India in its annual report for 2018, saying religious freedom in the country continued to indicate a downward trend.

Us has no right to talk about other countries. First they stop sporadic violence and shooting against religious minorities like Indians. Sad thing is they don’t even acknowledge religious crimes against Hindus in USA.

2 hours ago, Prasadr said:

Us has no right to talk about other countries. First they stop sporadic violence and shooting against religious minorities like Indians. Sad thing is they don’t even acknowledge religious crimes against Hindus in USA.

Do we say the same if they publish article on growing islam threats? 

What I am saying is we should not be worried about organizations like these and should bring reforms to religion. This applies to all religions actually.

On 5/3/2019 at 2:15 AM, JAYAM_NANI said:

Do we say the same if they publish article on growing islam threats? 

What I am saying is we should not be worried about organizations like these and should bring reforms to religion. This applies to all religions actually.

Islam is not ready to change and not compatible with others ....that is the reason Europe stopped accommodating them and us unofficially stopped their immigration....

as much as i hate bjp kidnapping hinduism, so much i hate when other religions/ religion backed establishments talk of indian religious identity and trajectory 

basically by making these comments, they are only empowering modi type people in India

2 hours ago, Nfdbno1 said:

as much as i hate bjp kidnapping hinduism, so much i hate when other religions/ religion backed establishments talk of indian religious identity and trajectory 

basically by making these comments, they are only empowering modi type people in India

Archived