Ramoji Rao - why he became Atheist

GOLI SODA

What does spirituality mean to you?
It could manifest in two ways: one is a value-based life, the other one is a religion-attached life.
I belong to the first category. God to me is a creation of man.
As a child, I believed in God. I would walk for three miles to school, barefoot, and pass each day a goddess temple with whom I bargained for good grades or some other nice thing.
Belief takes you a long way. When you feel you can do it, then you achieve it. So the belief in God may be a psychological way of achieving it.

It also often comes from greed as people hope they can get things from gods. Because as you can see, all criminals go to God and make ample offerings. If you go to Tirupati at Lord Balaji's temple for instance, you can see all sorts of people with notorious histories behind them. I am not sure what they ask for: do they actually believe they are committing sins and are asking for forgiveness to wash them --- so they can start afresh another set of sins; or do they believe they are doing right and want God to be on their side?

How did you come to believing that God is a creation of man?
In my student years, in the late forties and early fifties, I became a Communist party cardholder and was active in its students' wing activities. I was attracted to them because they were very sincere in their desire to serve society; they were not selfish, seeking out something for themselves in politics --- instead they were value-based human beings more focused on service and sacrifice.

Later on though the Communist movement got split between the Chinese and Soviet versions. They were throwing mud at each other. Also, their ideology did not change over time, even though the world and Indian society were changing. Influences from Moscow and Beijing were more important than homegrown ideas. I gradually grew more disappointed and distanced myself from the Party. And remained independent ever since. That was the extent of my political life.
But in the meanwhile, I had read all the Communist literature, Marx, Lenin, Mao and so on. With it I had lost my faith in God and have remained an atheist ever since.

- Indian Express

46 minutes ago, Jaitra said:

Edisaadu

Communism is a modern religion that tried unsuccessfully to alter the Nature & its laws -  a deformity.

AJ's RK too has this malady in bones,  Jaitra bro, tough to quarantine ; Small segment of Indian population, Two to three generations wasted their lives in this contradiction.

22 minutes ago, Kiran said:

Inko 5-10 yrs communist mukth bharat and hopefully this is the last generation to see it in INDIA :brakelamp:

Ante Inka PK lanti Che Guevara lu raru antara..

As a main stream thing , it will never happen, it is a failure

But as a ideology it will survive I guess

JNU batch antha Communists Lega.. I mean idealogy wise..

once into mainstream they adapt to capitalism 

7 hours ago, GOLI SODA said:

Ante Inka PK lanti Che Guevara lu raru antara..

As a main stream thing , it will never happen, it is a failure

But as a ideology it will survive I guess

JNU batch antha Communists Lega.. I mean idealogy wise..

once into mainstream they adapt to capitalism 

Yes as an ideology it will survive one more generation through some, but will be slowly routed out.

My guess -JNU batch themselves will not join communist party, they will max try the jignesh mewani route of using Dalit card etc. and align with congress

29 minutes ago, nbk@myHeart said:

Adedo aadhyaathmika city kadathannaadu ani kcr di lick chesaadugaa.... what happened to that? Athiest la ki vaatitho em pani?

Normal Practical life doesn't rhyme with Communism, at minimum subconsciously some are aware, that, it is a Lie at root, Heart bro...See his real life in market economy , a contradiction to his early life clingings and case of rebuttal ...Why there is  no ' Integration' with real life, for him ?

Generally speaking the following comes to light about many; Disinterest in seeking truth, False pride, intellectual dishonesty, lack of rational thinking, dreamy romanticism, various side agenda, political opportunism etc. keep them from reconciling with proven facts fully.

36 minutes ago, nbk@myHeart said:

Adedo aadhyaathmika city kadathannaadu ani kcr di lick chesaadugaa.... what happened to that? Athiest la ki vaatitho em pani?

He is a smart businessman first, he can treat it as business without being emotional about it ... 

Religious market is biggest

I am not talking about morality here

It was news to me knowing he had this kind of belief.. no one is perfect 

1 hour ago, Kiran said:

Yes as an ideology it will survive one more generation through some, but will be slowly routed out.

My guess -JNU batch themselves will not join communist party, they will max try the jignesh mewani route of using Dalit card etc. and align with congress

Communist party ni nammukunte AP lo Raghavulu laga settle avaali

University level lo revolution ane kick kosam it seems attractive.. but it will not sustain in long run

Same time life dedication tho vunnavallu vunnaru... 

I feel there could be no expiry date as such, labor unions, University politics and academic interests variki it will have it's influence..

Political ga they can't grow and it would be challenging to hold the 3 states too

Regardless of Communists ...what he talks about is ... Value-based Life. This the hallmark attribute you can see in well-known atheists including ANR. 

Whatever Communists have become today, there is a wealth of knowledge in those books that can be applied in this current society where you have a country such as India where the inequality between Poor and Rich is at staggering proportions. 

A greedy Capitalist Society is not the answer to our Values.

Having Fair business practices, and being a responsible citizen of society fighting for equality is a Core Ingredient our values.

2 hours ago, Rtn said:

Regardless of Communists ...what he talks about is ... Value-based Life. This the hallmark attribute you can see in well-known atheists including ANR. Whatever Communists have become today, there is a wealth of knowledge in those books that can be applied in this current society where you have a country such as India where the inequality between Poor and Rich is at staggering proportions. A greedy Capitalist Society is not the answer to our Values. Having Fair business practices, and being a responsible citizen of society fighting for equality is a Core Ingredient our values.

Where do our cherished & noble (often forgotten for various reasons) 'Values' come from ?, Rtn bro....Not certainly from occupiers British/West, Middle East or Authoritarian regimes/theories like Communism, Russia/China etc;

Tracing back Indian roots & its priceless knowledge- without the self hate propagandized by such  those small minded foreign entities & false theories, is the key to our potential growth & greatness- with noble values. Indians have been the broadminded universal philosophers & spiritual teachers to humanity. Looking deep inside has been our age old mantra for acquring divine values, no need to look elsewhere, holds good even now.

(ॐ सर्वे भवन्तु सुखिनः सर्वे सन्तु निरामयाःसर्वे भद्राणि पश्यन्तु मा कश्चिद्दुःखभाग्भवेत् शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिःOm, May All become Happy, May All be Free from Illness. May All See what is Auspicious May no one Suffer. Om Peace, Peace, Peace.)

1 hour ago, dusukochadu said:

--------Communism reading ki, capitalism living ki baaguntadi. 

Misery, poverty, turmoil, violence - all devastation it brought, not a pleasant stuff even for that ,  D brother ; Do notice , the hapless consumers of communism everywhere on map look agitated, no fun spirits & meaningful soul in that refuse. It is a putrid caracass, except few rodents who nibble the deadmeat, overwhelming majorities of  healthy beings won't touch that stink any more.

19 hours ago, Sr Fan said:

Where do our cherished & noble (often forgotten for various reasons) 'Values' come from ?, Rtn bro....Not certainly from occupiers British/West, Middle East or Authoritarian regimes/theories like Communism, Russia/China etc;

Tracing back Indian roots & its priceless knowledge- without the self hate propagandized by such  those small minded foreign entities & false theories, is the key to our potential growth & greatness- with noble values. Indians have been the broadminded universal philosophers & spiritual teachers to humanity. Looking deep inside has been our age old mantra for acquring divine values, no need to look elsewhere, holds good even now.

(ॐ सर्वे भवन्तु सुखिनः सर्वे सन्तु निरामयाःसर्वे भद्राणि पश्यन्तु मा कश्चिद्दुःखभाग्भवेत् शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिःOm, May All become Happy, May All be Free from Illness. May All See what is Auspicious May no one Suffer. Om Peace, Peace, Peace.)

You are right about looking deep inside each of us. But lets not sugar coat Indian history.

Our Own kings and rulers have plundered our wealth, fortune and our citizens. They are the ones who conspired on each other to allow British or Nawabs to the country. Our history books in School always conveniently lies the blame on British and the West when in fact it is our Rulers/ Kings and partly our civilization that is responsible for where we are today. 

39 minutes ago, Rtn said:

You are right about looking deep inside each of us. But lets not sugar coat Indian history.

Our Own kings and rulers have plundered our wealth, fortune and our citizens. They are the ones who conspired on each other to allow British or Nawabs to the country. Our history books in School always conveniently lies the blame on British and the West when in fact it is our Rulers/ Kings and partly our civilization that is responsible for where we are today. 

Rtn bro...Do see your paradigm....Regarding our values - Our culture wont look for inspiration , generally, in Cities & Capitals  from kings & executives for noble values; The seeds for our Universal values have come from simple modest men, forest dwellers - Our Rishis & our noble products - took root away from cities( Upanishads & others etc)  .....For further pleasant reading on the seeds of our Civilization, see Tagore works & some others credible ones, cant dare to put better than 'Saadhana' & others.

( Beg to differ brother, our modern history is sugarcoated & sanitized towards the Invaders, infact it undermined the native culture - fact.. Can go on this, but this context prevents and it may digress away from thread topic - RR,Communism etc)

1 hour ago, Sr Fan said:

Rtn bro...Do see your paradigm....Regarding our values - Our culture wont look for inspiration , generally, in Cities & Capitals  from kings & executives for noble values; The seeds for our Universal values have come from simple modest men, forest dwellers - Our Rishis & our noble products - took root away from cities( Upanishads & others etc)  .....For further pleasant reading on the seeds of our Civilization, see Tagore works & some others credible ones, cant dare to put better than 'Saadhana' & others.

( Beg to differ brother, our modern history is sugarcoated & sanitized towards the Invaders, infact it undermined the native culture - fact.. Can go on this, but this context prevents and it may digress away from thread topic - RR,Communism etc)

You are a wise man with wisdom. And Yes would not prefer to digress from this thread. But as much as I like to glorify about my own Indian civilization, I would also like to remind that the Phone, Computer, keypad, Internet almost all modern amenities we are
using today did not derive from Upanishads.

So I see this is as one large blue planet where several civilizations have evolved during various phases of mankind. There is good and bad in all humans.

I would refrain from stating that my history is better than Others. This is just an evolution of one planet where we might all be children of GOD (one God)

Rtn bro....As much as I agree with you, i.e., 98% of the time, you know that- right ! , this - paradigm, this perspective, unfortunately not exclusive to you, so this enunciation is not directly aimed at you, don't get mistaken- our race in modern times suffers from self detest. Part of the extreme usefulness of self voyage we both agreed on earlier('looking inside'- it is not a metaphor for history, but it is for the inner excursion to comprehend SELF), is severely lacking in our times, so that to overcome this self esteem paralysis. What you are saying in part, is not contradicted by our culture - infact the seeds of that universal brotherhood is professed by Indian culture - the same Upanishads, but how many people take time to go through really, atleast one, without misquoting & misusing it ! . That explain, briefly, part of the misinterpretation about what we have now. The uniqueness of the best of our culture is - making this world better for entire humanity, away from the narrowness. But despair not, we get better by knowing more about ourselves, no doubt.

(The universal values every human can benefit from the derivatives of our Civilization & Culture of human sophistication - is a boon to humanity;  have not much directly relatable with a Tablet one types in hyd. or a flavorful hyd. chicken biryani(not kidding) one eats. Give a pause, '          ' ,   both these enhance human experience, no Q.  But the comparison between the former intangible(tangibles also, not going there, lot of bytes need to explain)tools for human elevation & perfection from greatest sages & scientists,  and the mundane useful products we consume , is oversimplification, unwise. )

'Nature' & 'That'...

For enthusiastic bros, another bite, with a different flavor. So, just want to shed light on one cardinal & fundamental truth, we all forget when we are in the conversations- feel good times, please do listen carefully, that also will explain the current topic conversation - Why communism can not sync with human nature !

Communism try to 'equate'  'unequal' things in worldly affairs( prakRti - Nature ); Simply one can not,  by nature 'NATURE' is not  'ONE ' , mix of countless 'MANY', and, so naturally  Good, bad, mediocre etc characterizations come in to picture- unavoidable. Eg. Culture is a worldly product(prakRiti - padaartha) good, bad etc exists.. so do excellent batting of sachin or  a bad apple or a mediocre egg puff...  so forth with many permutations & combinations of various attributes ,talents, capabilities, sizes, shapes, flavors etc.....Think our everyday practical life, away from this conversation, we do judge & discriminate between things of various varieties  !

(Only one aspect, 'SPIRIT'/'THAT'/'SOUL'/'PURUSHA'/ or you can fill with any of your choosing...etc. the one & only part of our beings, which is same with others beings- EQUALITY - advaita exists.  Unfortunately communism does not have this aspect,  they are totally confined to worldly matters & material.)

Archived