Yeddi Resigned...

Nandamuri Rulz

30bs1.jpg

I've been backstabbed, portrayed as criminal: Yeddyurappa

Former Karnataka chief minister B S Yeddyurappa chose not to target his political opponents in his speech at the Freedom Park in Bengaluru.

A mellow Yeddyurappa spoke to the point about his future plans and his new party the Karnataka Janata Party.

Excerpts from B S Yeddyurappa's speech:

My 40-year association with the Bharatiya Janata Party comes to an end today. Today is an unforgettable day for me and I would say it is the saddest day of my life. I am not happy, but I had to make this decision as I was left with no choice. It is time to make a new beginning today and the state of Karnataka will flourish under the Karnataka Janata Party.

We will contest all the 226 seats in the forthcoming elections. We will win more than 40 seats for sure. Our party will make a difference to the state of Karnataka. I have with me 40 persons sitting here in this rally.

I have been touring the state and say with confidence that I have the love and blessing of all people. When they look at me they say, 'our Yeddyurappa has come'.

The 40-year old-association between B S Yeddyurappa and the Bharatiya Janata Party came to an end today. The former Karnataka chief minister, who has been threatening to quit for six months now, finally faxed his resignation to party president Nitin Gadkari.

Yeddyurappa wrote, "I am writing this letter amidst a lot of pain. I am saddened by the fact that I am resigning from a party of which I was part of for the past 40 years and the party, which I built in the state of Karnataka with my very own hands. My resignation is not due to any other reason but due to my own party members. Many in the party thought that putting me down was the only way to secure their future in the BJP. They thought by sidelining me, they would grow in the party. Hence, I have decided to resign from the party."

Former Karnataka [ Images ] chief minister B S Yeddyurappa [ Images ] struck an emotional chord with his supporters on Friday as he was all set to quit the Bharatiya Janata Party [ Images ] and sever his 40-year-old ties with it.

A teary-eyed Yeddyurappa told the media gathered outside his residence in Bangalore that it was the saddest day of his life to quit a party he had built in the first place.

Yeddyurappa, who has complained of betrayal by the BJP leadership, said at his Dollar's Colony residence on Friday morning, "I am sad, but some things had to be done. I have been made to feel unwanted in my own party."

Yeddyurappa will address a gathering at the Freedom Park in Bangalore at 10.30 am, following which he will lead a rally to the Vidhan Soudha where he will tender his resignation to the Speaker of the House.

Yeddyurappa has been surrounded by his loyalists and has also been visiting temples in his trademark style before he heads out to address the rally. The former CM also said that he has asked all MLA's of the BJP to stay away from the rally.

"I have no intention of pulling down the government and (Karnataka CM) Jagadish Shettar [ Images ] must complete his term," he added.

Yeddyurappa holds closed-door meet with loyalists

Yeddyurappa held a closed door meeting with his loyalists at his residence. Shobha Karandlage, Basavaraj Bommai, Umesh Katti, C M Udasi, B Harish, Basavaraj Bommai, B Y Raghavendra among others, were part of the meet.

The meeting was held to chalk out the future course of action. The MLAs and ministers in the BJP government present at the meet expressed their desire to join him at the rally.

However, Yeddyurappa remained firm and said that none should join him. "Let the BJP government complete its term. If you join me the party will suspend you and the government will fall," he told them.

This is the last meeting that Yeddyurappa held as a BJP member. Sources say that the meet was an emotional one where Yeddyurappa's supporters thanked him profusely for his contribution to the party.

Meanwhile, large crowds gathered outside his residence and there was a rise in his Muslim supporters. All the supporters marched with Yeddyurappa to Freedom Park.

Archived